Management and Strategy Consulting?

1. Hi! It's been a very long time since I've been on tPF but I've been very busy lately!

I'm at the point in my life right now, where I'm thinking about my future (which basically means careers/jobs) and a certain career field has sparked my interest but unfortunately, I'm not learning much from Google.

Management and Strategy Consulting.

Can anyone elaborate on it? Does anyone here work or have worked in that career field or know anyone who does?

Thanks in advance! :yes:

2. I'd be interested in that too!!! Where are our professional tpf'ers?

3. Are you still in college? What's your major? Try getting a summer internship w/one of the bigger national firms. Vault.com was a good resource for me when I was considering management/strategic consulting. The interview process usually includes case studies that require you to walk through them on the spot. The interviewers are interested in your logical thinking and analytical skills.

Nowadays, I work in the healthcare practice of a human capital consulting firm. Consulting is very client focused. There will be times where you will have to put in a lot of hours and travel. Ultimately I really feel like it's a great way to broaden your experience in different areas and will help open a lot of doors for you after a few years of experience.

4. Look at the vault guides.

McKinsey, Bain and Boston Consulting are the best. Booze Allen, Mercer Management, Mercer Oliver Wyman, Deloitte, LEK, Monitor are all very good.

For interviews, you will be given case interviews (you set up the boundaries, and work in a systematic way to solve the problem) and brain teasers. The best thing to do is practice. If you are in college, talk to career services.

5. You strategy depends on which stage of your life you are in right now, ie high school, college, college soon-to-graduate, grad school, employed but looking to transition, etc.

Your major doesn't matter! Firms are looking for smart people, hence the case interviews.