Magazine Samples vs. Real thing

1. One of my favorite perfumes is D&G Light Blue. I forgot to put on perfume today and there was a sample of it in a mag I was reading, so I put it on...

OMG!!!!!!!!! It smells sooooooooooo good. Like a million times better than it does out of the bottle. I can't stop smelling my arm.

I've noticed this with lots of other scents as well. I can't tell you how many perfumes I've bought based on a paper sample, but then when I get the real thing I hate it!

Has anyone else noticed it too? :shrugs:

2. oh yes! I´ve noticed that. The samplebottle (?) in the stores too...

3. I haven't noticed with magazine samples, but I have noticed that with the little bottles of samples that I get when I purchase cosmetics/fragrance. I got a tiny bottle of Chanel Chance that smelled wonderful. When I recently bought the big bottle, not so much...

4. It's so weird. I wonder if they put less alcohol or something in the samples so they smell better? :confused1:

5. Yes, I loved the fragrance Still by J.Lo in the sample bottle but I didn't like it in the real bottle. Might be the same fragrance, just the idea you had to pay for it and now you have lots of it makes it less desirable :lol:

6. This always happens to me too!! Whenever I buy the sample bottles, it seems like the perfume is stronger and smells better on me than the real sized bottles...
    Looks like I have to stock up on the samples sizes from now on...

7. I noticed that too. Tried a clinique liquid make up from a sample, and worked great. When I bought the real thing it was one more mediocre/bad makeup...

8. I hate when this happens, it happens to me all of the time and it is seriously so disappointing bc I always love it in the mag and run into Sephora, or some store, and buy it and get it home and hate it.:cursing:

9. yeah i have noticed that magazine samples rarely smell the same as the real thing. i haven't noticed that with tiny bottles tho.

10. Yep, they always seem different.

11. Seems like they're making the samples better so that you're more willing to buy full size

12. Wow, I haven't noticed this but I can see how it would happen. But I always would think the mag samples would smell worse b/c they have been, well, sitting in a magazine, going through the mail, hot/cold weather, etc and kinda taking a beating more than the bottles would? Or...maybe not, not sure if that made sense.

13. I think those paper magazine samples smell differently, because the scent is not being altered by your natural body chemistry. I've had the experience where I've sniffed the paper and liked the smell, but they thought it smelled G-d awful when it was sprayed on my skin. That actually happened with D & G Light Blue. It smelled terrific on the paper magazine sample, but it got this weird odor when I tried some on my skin at the store. The smell reminded me of margarine. It was gross, and it was a huge letdown.