Made the YUMMIEST salmon pasta dish last night!

1. Yesterday was DH's birthday (and MIL's Orthodox Christmas), so it needed to be something doubly special. DH always prefers I cook for his bday and I like doing something special for it, but up until now, I just follow some recipe. Most years, I grab something from the White Dog Cafe cookbook (he loved that restaurant in Philly), but he said he wanted pasta with lots of veggies and maybe, if he could have his biggest wish, some fish. This is something I haven't done before.

So... I scoped out the veggies at the Whole Foods and picked up some nice veggies and I had stuff at home to finish it up.

Here is the list of ingredients:

1 lb. of salmon fillet
    1 lb. of quality large ring pasta
    3 smaller zucchini (not baby size, but not big)
    1 head of broccoli
    1 bunch of green onions (scallions)
    1 red bell pepper
    1 package of baby portabello mushrooms (quart size)
    6-8 sun dried tomatoes
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1 bunch dill (washed and destemmed and then chopped finely)
    2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Vegetable stock (or if DESPERATE, 2 bouillon cubes)
    1/2 a stick of butter (unsalted)
    2 tbsp. Sour cream
    4-6 tbsp. lemon juice (or 2 small lemons - one for the fish and one for the veggies)
    1 tbsp. dehydrated veggies (meant for dips or marinades)
    1/4 cup water for fish
    1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water for veggies
    Salt and Pepper to taste

What I did: first, I diced/cut all veggies up in small pieces - about the size of a garbanzo bean. Then, I started the water for pasta (adding salt and oil to the water). I rinsed and dried the salmon and cut it into roughly 4 equal pieces. I put it in a baking pan that had 1/4 cup water and some dried vegetable spice (from whole foods - bell pepper, leaks, sundried tomatoes, garlic, parsley, etc - no salt added) and added a couple of good squirts of lemon juice and marinated it face down in the rehydrated spices for a short time. I flipped them over for baking (making sure to have plenty of veggie stuff on them and then I covered that pan with foil and put it in the oven to bake at 425 degrees while I cooked the rest - set for 15 minutes.

Then I added the pasta to the boiling water (a larger pasta noodle which took 12 minutes).

At the same time I sauteed the mushrooms, green onions and red bell pepper with 1/2 a stick of butter and then scraped it all out. Then, in the pan I added a 1/2 cup to 3/4s cup of water and the vegetable stock (I have "better than Bouillon in beef, Chicken, and veggie, so this time I used veggie) and added the diced zucchini and chopped sun dried tomatoes, and chopped dill and cooked until tender firm, I then added the sauteed veggies back to that pan and added a couple squirts of lemon juice (about 2-3 tbsp?). I stirred that all up, then added the broccoli and pine nuts and basically turned off the heat so as not to overheat the broccoli. I removed the cooked pasta, and took out the fish. I then sucked up the fish "stock" in the baking pan (remember it was in a little water and lemon juice with spices) and added that to the pasta dish (about 3 tbsp. worth) and finally added two tablespoons of sour cream and tossed the veggies all together.

I placed the pasta on the dish, added a generous helping of veggies and then added the salmon covered in the rehydrated veggies on top. Served with fresh parmesan cheese.

It was BEAUTIFUL to look at and DELICIOUS! So yummy and it made four VERY generous helpings - like Cheesecake Factory portions. I'll DEFINITELY be making this one again and it all came from my little noggin! So fast two, from start to finish this dish took me 30 minutes to make even with prep time.

2. Yum, sounds really good.

I can't believe you just made that up. You're so lucky to be able to do that. I always have to follow a recipe.

3. WOW, that sounds sooo yummy. Did you take any pics??? I love salmon. I want to try your recipe but I know I will screw it up. :crybaby:

4. I "almost" took a picture of it, but I thought my MIL would think I was kooky, so I didn't, but it was all a beautiful mix of red and green and yellow. It really tasted like something from a good ecclectic restaurant.

And, for "SPECIAL" things I usually use a recipe, but for day to day, I never use recipes and self create. After awhile you just learn what flavors go with what and since I cook nearly every day for the last 14 plus years, you do learn a few things.

I think one of the most UNDERUSED herbs in American cuisine is dill. It is sooooooo good with veggies and it freezes well. In the summer I buy TONS and TONS of it at the farmer's market and de-stem (leaving tiny stems) and chop it then, and then freeze to use for the rest of the year. Fresh herbs rock and I always try to use fresh when I can.

5. Happy birthday, Mr. berryblondeboys... thanks for sharing the recipe. It does sound delicious. And you're right, dill is so great, I love anything with dill!!!

6. ^^^ too funny!

Dh is now 41!!!! Good GRIEF!!! He was still 25 when I first encountered him and 26 when we got married. HOW can that be! He's still handsome as ever though (at least to me!).

7. That's really sweet! I still really appreciate you sharing your DH story with me (us, generally, I guess) about you two and grad school and all that. I'm aspiring to be as patient as you were!

8. sounds amazing! congrats on the yummy dinner, but it looks like a whole lotta work to me :smile: how long did it take you?

9. Well, I first said it took me 30 minutes, but now that I think about it, it probably took 45 from start to finish. The cooking part was only 15 minutes once the oven and the water was boiling, but I wasn't RUSHING with cleaning and cutting the veggies either since I had plenty of time before DH came home. I could "probably wash and cut" in 15 minutes, but it probably took me more like 30 minutes to do it along with prepping the fish. 30-45 minutes is about what I typically spend on an every day meal.

10. Hmmm sounds really yummy! I love salmon and I have to try this recipe.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

11. i'm going to try your recipe soon. DH is now on a red-meat free diet so this will fit the bill. thanks!

12. Sounds so good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

13. That sounds so good! I love salmon! We eat salmon pasta a lot, but some variation would be great...