Made a listing error - buyer won't give up

1. I sold a sweatshirt on eBay and realized I made a mistake and that sweatshirt was no longer available. I notified buyer and apologized many times. I don't feel good about it but I can't do anything - that item was oversold. Buyer is very angry as he was getting more than a good deal on this item. I filed a Mutual Withdrawal Agreement to get my fees back, but buyer responded that he still wants to complete the transaction and I didn't get my FVF back. So, what am I supposed to do now? I don't have the sweatshirt, I already gave him a refund, what can I do so that eBay refunds my fees? I already paid for my mistake in listing fees, what are my obligations to the buyer? Please advise.

2. There is nothing you can do to get your fees back if the buyer did not agree to the mutual withdrawal.

As a buyer I'd be a bit displeased as well as sellers should not offer more items than they have to fill the sales.

I think you've done all you can by apologizing and you will now have to hope the buyer does not leave negative feedback.

3. Well, what does buyer get out of this? eBay gets additional fees, buyer is left just as unsatisfied. I just don't see the point of keeping FVF as a resolution to the matter. Even though I understand the frustration of the buyer, there was no loss on their part. I guess it's just another way for ebay to get something out of every possible situation. Nice business model.

4. Well, what can they do, really? They can't force the buyer to agree, and they obviously can't force you to sell something you don't have.
    I agree that the buyer is being a bit unreasonable, but at the same time, it's really not the fault of the buyer that the item isn't available. :s

5. unfortunately, this might have to be chalked up as a learning experience.

6. I don't think you can get your fees back as it was your mistake. It's annoying, but I don't think you can do anything.

7. you can't do much just tell the buyer you made a mistake and you have already refunded the $$

8. Ebay won't refund your fees because the buyer didn't agree to the withdrawal, it is not like they are happy to keep your money....it would just open it up to every seller asking for a fvf refund because they made a listing mistake. The mutual withdrawal is to keep people honest, ebay has no way of knowing the truth otherwise.

I think your buyer is being a little unreasonable though, but there really isn't much you can do now, just apologize and hope that he doesn't leave you a negative.

9. Keep in mind that charging fees to the seller cuts down on non-legit sellers on eBay (NOT you) who sell things all the time before they have the items in their hands. eBay is working on the assumption that if you start a listing, you have the item in hand, and therefore you are charged the fees.

10. As a seller myself, I'd take the loss of the FVF and just move on. They're not really under any obligation to help YOU get YOUR money back when you oversold an item, and it most likely isn't worth the emotional hassle anyway.

11. I don't think there's anything you can do. If the buyer agrees to withdraw, does that mean that (s)he wont be able to leave you feedback either? If so, and the buyer is unhappy, it could be that (s)he wont agree because (s)he wants to give you feedback still. just my $0.02

12. No, feedback could still be left.

13. If the buyer does not agree to the mutual withdrawal, you cannot get your FVF back and yes, they can still leave feedback.

14. in that case, the buyer is just unhappy and wants you to pay for your mistake. sorry.

15. I may be the odd one out and I apologize for sounding harsh. If I was the buyer and bought something fair and sqaure and the seller oversold the item or said it wasn't available. I would be VERY upset. I don't think the buyer has any obligation to help the seller get the FVF back. Its the sellers fault that the item isn't available. If you are upset that you lost the FVF than you should learn to be double sure that each and every item is available for sale before you list it.