LV Prices in France

Abt the form, dont worry, LV has plenty of the forms at hand. In fact, this VAT refund applies to most merchants in Paris and the VAT refund rate might differ between merchants but I know for sure the refund from LV is 12%. I called them a few days ago. :smile:

This is really great info. I'm going to PAris next year too. I didn't know that its so much cheaper over there. Is there a limit on how much u spend there? or how many bags? b/c when u present the VAT form at custome, will they ask why u purchase so many bags?

There is no limit to the VAT refund but I have heard in the past that LV Paris restricts purchases for up to 2 items per tourist, but I have also heard that this is not true. But I believe that this restriction is for similar type items like maybe 2 speedys or 2 almas. Maybe this is to curb reselling given its the cheapest in the world.

LV is able to check the no. and type of items you purchased all across the country as I believe they capture your info into the system when you make a purchase, like your name, passport no. etc.

yep, LV is cheapest in Paris. as Gucci is in Rome. and thank goodness for the VAT refund too! i almost saved 15-20% off compared to the prices here in Australia. it's worth the hassle of queueing and having to carry the items you bought with you just in case they request an inspection. the refund can either be cash or a direct transfer or reverse to your crfedit card.

lordguinny said:
Aside from the appeal of purchasing a LV its homeland of France, are the prices more appealing as well? I will be traveling to Paris in October and would like to know if the LV's there are cheaper than in the US.

Thanks everyone! :flowers:

Yes, i always buy my LV bags from europe. but ofcourse france is 10% cheaper than rest of europe. The way it works is that LV adds 10% to its prices outside france (within europe) and then another 10% when it comes to middle east and the US. this what i was told from LV in london.

pinkish_love said:
Yes, i always buy my LV bags from europe. but ofcourse france is 10% cheaper than rest of europe. The way it works is that LV adds 10% to its prices outside france (within europe) and then another 10% when it comes to middle east and the US. this what i was told from LV in london.

which explains why by the time it reaches us here in Australia the
:censor: pricetag is like 50% more. grrrr....

mercx5 said:
Lv is the cheapest in Paris. If you a tourist, you can get a VAT refund of 12% (on the purchase price) when you leave Paris. Just get the SA to fill up the VAT refund form for you and proceed to the CUstoms counter at the airport when you are leaving Paris. You can opt ot receive cash or card credit of 12% on purchases of LV.

For example, if you spend Euros 100 in LV, you will get back a further Euros 12 at the Customs counter. This makes LVs in Paris the cheapest in the world. Factoring in the prices and the VAT refund, prices in LV are approximately cheaper by 30% in Paris compared to where I live. I kid you not. Hope this helps.

:nuts: Wow, I want to go to Paris NOW! Thanks for the info!

deluxeduck said:
LV is cheapest in Paris. as Gucci is in Rome.

Actually Gucci is the cheapest in Florence because it's the brand's original home town. They have great Gucci outlets there! :yahoo:

LV prices were the same in Paris, Saint-Tropez and Nice. Also in Monte Carlo (Monaco). :yes:

OMG.....i can't believe how much cheaper it is to purchase in France !! especially the Suhali range :nuts: now i think i've overpayed :hysteric: now ...i wonder why my SA told me that the price in France is not much cheaper than NZ....she just got back from France from training sessions........i shall tell her what i saw on Vuttion.com !!

The VAT really does help. But bear in mind it can take up to two months for the refund to show up on your credit card. Also not all merchants give the VAT, you have to ask beforehand. The other thing you have be really careful about is Customs Duty coming back home. In the USA, you only have an $800 allowance that is duty free- anything above that you pay between 1-3% on the difference. Many people don't declare things and get away with it- but if you are caught the penalties are stiff. Also be sure and check with your credit card companies. Most credit cards charge between 1-5% in transaction fees for items purchased in Euros. When you add that plus the poor exchange rate it can really bite you. USAA credit cards do not charge a transaction fee and neither do some Capital One cards. Check yours beforehand so you don't have unexpected shock when your bill arrives. Also, if you bank with Bank of America, be sure and use your cash machine card in Paris at BNP branches. They are all over Paris and they are owned by B of A. Because of that, you don't pay any fees for withdrawing cash from their machines.

^^^ i'm not sure if it varies by country, but my parents just came back from europe and they bought me an LV in italy, but flew home through spain. anyway, they got the vat refund right at the airport, no waiting at all.

There is nothing to worry as you can opt to get the VAT refund by CASH right away instead of crediting it to your card. So there is no wait at all!

Heathrow airport gives the option of refund by card credit or cash but it depends on which airport you are leaving from Europe, some airports only credits your card. You have to check in advance.

About the declaration of goods at your home customs, given LV are bags, you can carry and use it on the way back like it was old and customs will not even bother you. Of course you have to be smart and not leave it in its box and original packaging like you had just bought it. If you can, throw away the box and packaging and customs will not know a thing.

When I was in Paris a few months ago, I saw an American couple buying a few thousand worth of LV stuff. In that case, it really does add up in terms of savings.

The Euro vs. US Dollar exchange rate is so bad for American right now that it's only really worth it if you can afford to buy a few pieces.

Obviously it's not worth it to fly out to Paris just to save $80 on a bag.

But if you're already gonna be there, and you can afford to buy several pieces at once, you could save hundreds.