LV and image

1. I know it is silly to care unduely about what others think of you but I am interested in knowing your thoughts on how you are perceived carrying a LV bag.

I had real issues with this. It's such an obvious status symbol and in some company I feel ostentatious and tasteless. I would never carry a LV bag to my boyfriend's parents home for instance.

What do you think people think and does it bother you?
  2. Personally I don't care what anyone thinks when I carry my LV. I'm so proud to carry them.
  3. I do not care what anybody thinks. Ever. But, I also don't brag on my possessions or point them out so they're noticed...
  4. I'm sure people think it's fake, but I don't really care. It's my bag, and I'm the one carrying it.
  5. I don't care either. No one in my family or my DH's even knows what it is, much less what it's worth. My sister sort of knows, but doesn't care.
    I think most people are like that, most people have NO idea what LV is or it's value, those who do either carry them as well or just dislike them IMO.
  6. It doesn't bother me what anyone thinks...I buy my LV items because *I* like them, not for what anyone else thinks.
  7. I'm proud to carry LV. If the ppl that are gawking at me are so jealous that they have to think or say nasty things about me that just goes to show what losers they really are. I don't think I have ever felt "ostentatious and tasteless" when I carry my LV bag, it will be interesting to see if anyone else has that feeling.
  8. I agree with what has been said above: I know how great the bag is, about its history, and so on. I know mine is real. If anyone else has a problem, well, it's their issue with an image created by pop culture and has nothing to do with me.

That said, I am a little glad I carry a Damier :smile: Most people have no idea what it is.

But I do proudly carry my multicolore wallet, and I will own a mono bag someday, and feel just the same.
  9. I had just written this same thing almost exactly and then deleted it! You are exactly right -- so many people do not even know what they are.

I don't know all the bags of all the designers... one day I found a bag and fell in love with it and bought it. My snooty SIL said "that's a rip-off of so-and-so's new style." Well, I had never heard of the designer she mentioned much less would I know that my new purse was a "rip-off" of another one. And I'm sure most people are the same way. Someone who buys the Fendi Spy lookalike at Walmart has NO idea that Fendi probably even makes a Spy bag! Nor do they care. :smile: (Hope I said that all the way I meant it!!)
  10. I personally don't care and I think most people don't know what LV is except family and friends. Some of them don't GET it about my love for bags . I told them at least it's fat free and calorie free plus it gets me HIGH :lol:
  11. I understand what you are saying, but I personally find it tasteless to judge others based on what they are wearing, or what bag they carry. My husband's family is this way so I know what you mean. I carry my designer bags wherever and I don't worry about what others think. In fact if I know they think its ostentatious I am probably more inclined to carry it around them just to be the closet rebel that I am. I also don't take of my nice jewelry when I am around people like this. If they feel that way its their problem. I wear what I want and carry whatever bag I want to make me happy.
  12. same with me. they're MY bags and i'll carry them when i like and where i like. where i live, the fakes are rampant, so people probably think mine are fake too, but i really don't care. and because i'm the only one among my friends who has designer bags, i make a point of being as inconspicuous as possible.
  13. Generally I don't care at all what anyone thinks of me....but I can completely relate when it comes to carrying a LV bag to my b/f's parents house.

It does sometimes make me feel a little uncomfortable...
  14. Thanks for the reponses guys. I don't generally defend my choices - I like what I like - but sometimes it gets to me.
  15. I try not to care.
    Sometimes I do, like when my father-in-law made a comment about how he thinks "Vuitton bags are horrible looking for the price"
    Mind you, I ADORE this man and I married his son so I do care what HE thinks.

I'm a SAHM, so every bag I own is purchased by my husband.
    I often times worry that his parents think that I'm kind of spoiled in that respect or if I'm bleeding their son dry :lol:
    But then his mother reassures me that the woman of the house SHOULD get nice pressies as opposed to the vacuum that FIL gifted her one year... :huh:

Other people, I could care less.

I have people tell me that they can't "believe how much you would spend" on a bag and go on with the benefits of the $10 Walmart bag that's lasted 30 years.
    IMO, people who think that way aren't the same people that think it's perfectly "normal" to spend upwards of $500 on a purse.
    I can't judge that person for having frugal minded mentality so I don't let myself get affected by what they think of me.

And then I think that others just assume my bags are fake.

BTW, I believe that whole thing about someone who buys the knock off would never know that it's stolen from a certain brand. In some cases anyway, since I think there are people that fully support knockoffs since they like the idea that they spent so much less and "it looks real enough to foll everyone" (obviously they've never run into anyone HERE :biggrin: )
    But I'm not big into designer shoes and I just read (HERE) the other day about how Steve Madden knocks off a lot of designers (I wear Steve Madden) and prior to ever knowing what the hell Juicy Couture was, I was happily wearing the knock off fleecy suits from Tarjay :amuse: