Lowfat scone/biscuit recipe for dinner or dessert

1. Mitzi's Easy Lowfat Scone Recipe

My DH loves scones and biscuits with coffee, but he's always bought them so I decided to save money and make them at home. However, I found out that most scone recipes contain buttermilk which is very fattening and also I really don't have a use for it, so I end up throwing half the container of it away after using it for the scones. This is an easy recipe that you can make with kids or inept spouses. :yahoo:

This is for two people for a meal, however you can easily double this mixture for four people or make a batch of dinner scones and ones for breakfast.

Prep and cooking time total: 30 minutes

1 cup of all purpose flour (can substitute half whole wheat and half all purpose)

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/4 cup of soft butter (I use low fat Brummel & Brown spread, any spread is fine!)

2/3 cup of fat free plain yogurt

2 tablespoons of honey

1/2 of an egg (I use egg whites for this, and it's still yummy)

Dinner examples:

minced garlic and chives or green onions

fresh basil and shallots

parmesan cheese, basil and oregano (add a topping of cheese when there's 3 mins left of baking)

cheddar and cayenne pepper

Breakfast and Dessert examples:

1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup pecans

hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons peanut butter

cinnamon and powdered sugar tops (sift powered sugar on after cooking and broil for a few seconds)

Combine all the ingredients and stir or blend with hands quickly. Then drop the scones onto a parchement lined double baking sheet. IMPORTANT use two baking sheets or the bottoms of the scones will burn! (See picture). I drop using the two spoon method, which keeps your hands clean. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown.

Takes about 30 minutes with prep time!

Makes 5 - 6 scones

2 spoons, the clean and easy way to drop biscuits

5 larger ones on parchment paper and 2 cookie sheets

I mixed these more so they flattened a little. These are fresh basil, shallots and 3 cheese scones.

Lunchtime today. Served with a roasted garlic spread and a spinach & baby green salad with strawberries, raspberries and avocado and a balsamic glaze :biggrin:
  2. Wow ! how nice of you to share. I have major dairy issues. But my family might like this.

3. Yum! Thanks for posting this!