Looking To Get Into Some Great Reading!

1. Does anyone have suggestions on good books to read, I heard the devil wears prada, was excellent to read and so was the movie, all topics are welcome.:yes:
  2. here's a few of my favorites. they span a few genres. :smile:

bitter is the new black
    by jen lancaster
    the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime by mark haddon
    night by eli weisel
    wicked by gregory maguire
    the bluest eye by toni morrison
    lamb by christopher moore
    a tree grows in brooklyn
    the complete works of flannery o'conner
  3. i personally thought the 2nd book by the devil wears prada author lauren weisberger is better, it's called "everyone worth knowing", a warning tho, both books are VERY SIMILAR...

if you like mystery/action books... i would recommend Dan Brown's books, he is an excellent author... his books included: Angels & Demon, The Da Vinci Code, The Deception Point, etc...

there is of course the Harry Potter series... they are all pretty good, my favorite is book 6 the Half-Blood Prince...

the classic romance i would recommend Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice...
  4. oh yes! i don't know how i neglected this one! it's only my favorite book EVER. i've read it so many times i've lost count. i've worn out four copies and my fifth is looking really doggeared at this point.

if you haven't read it, DO!! it is the original chick lit. :yes:
  5. i adore the harry potter books. of course i loved angels and demons, the da vinci code (digital fortess not as much). i also enjoy faye kellerman mysteries. right now i'm reading a book called newjack about a journalist who becomes a corrections officer guarding sing sing, a max security prison in NY. it is very sad, yet enlightening regarding the current state of our prison systems. good luck finding something to capture your attention!
  6. My all time favorite books are:

1) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    2) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    3) The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
    4) The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson
    5) Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

7. If you like the Devil, do you like the Shopoholics series by Sophie Kinsella? She is fabulous! If you have read these, then she also writes under another name of Madelaine Wickham, they are all well worth a read.
  8. shopaholic series by sophie kinsella
    lipstick jungle by candace bushnell
    any books by paulo coelho
    any books by haruki murakami
    tuesday with morrie by mitch alborn
    any books by anne rice (author of interview with the vampire)
    great expectations
  9. anything and everything by Bill Bryson! 'A Walk in the Woods' is my favourite! I can't read it without having to frequently put it down as my eyes are so full of laughter tears its impossible to continue. My side ache, actually ache after I've read this

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
    Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan
    Dracula by Bram Stoker

errr, give me a min & I'll think of some more of my favs!:biggrin:

(I'm reading the Kinsella books for the first time, but honestly, I'm really not that into them. I think theyare very poorly written & more than a little predictable, but for sun lounger reading, they are ok)
  10. I second The Time Traveler's Wife! One of my all time favorite books, although I think that I cried for two hours after reading it.

Eastern Jewel- Was Suite Francaise good? I've heard so many mixed reviews about it so I haven't picked it up yet!

A few of my favorites are:

1. The Time Traveler's Wish
    2. The Dogs of Babel
    3. The Book Thief
    4. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life
    5. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
    6. My Sister's Keeper
    7. Everything is Illuminated
  11. I just finished The Devil Wears Prada and it was great! Actually made me laugh out loud!

I also just read You'll Never Nanny In This Town again-that was good too-not as good as Prada-but good.

I am glad you put this post up-I was going to do the same thing. I need new stuff to read-thanks!
  12. I just finished reading Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back. True story. Not very brainy but funny and sooooo true! Along the lines of The Devil Wears Prada and the Shopaholic series.

My favorite book to date is The Life of Pi, but also second:

Any book by Jennifer Weiner, ie Good in Bed, In Her Shoes.

A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is very good also.

A Million Little Pieces was amazing and intense, and interesting to read following the Oprah incident.

If you're going to read the DaVinci Code, I suggest reading the prequel Angels and Demons first. Easy to read, exciting and informative.

I've got such a huge list of books to read, thanks for those suggestions. Next up: Running with Scissors.
  13. Love her, didn't know she had another pen name. More books to read!

BTW, there's a great free book trading website, called Bookins Book Exchange, Swap Books, Free Bookswap, Free Books,Used Books, Paperback Swap

I got lots of books for the price of shipping only.
  14. "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer" by Patrick Sueskind
  15. Here are my recommendations:

Bitter is the New Black
    Anything by Diana Diamond (The Trophy Wife is ESPECIALLY GOOD)
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor
    Harry Potter Series