Longer vs. More Frequent Workouts?

1. Is there a difference in terms of benefits for the body, or is it just the total number of minutes spent? I am looking at doing 60+ minutes on the treadmill about 4-5 times per week or every day doing one of those 30 minute programs. Does the frequency make a difference or is it the total duration?
    Tami

2. This is a good question. I was told by my nutritionist what matters is the total amount of calories burned that day, not the condensed amount of work-out time. So for instance, you can run for 30 minutes and then take a walk later in the evening for 20 minutes. This means that for the day you've "excercised" for 50 total minutes. Some people run in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

However, my trainer told me that if you are trying to work off some extra pounds you should push yourself to work out for at least a minimum of 30 minutes every time you do decide to step on the treadmill. The reason for this is because you want to give your body time to reach a good sustained heart-rate at a healthy acceleration rate!

I personally work out 4 times a week. Each time I do cardio it's for 50 minutes total. I just don't have the time to break up my workout! :shame: But I think either of your workout plans work! Everyday with 30 minutes would be the best since your body will get moving every day! But of course, don't forget to weight train!!!

3. Also, equally imporatnt is intensity.
    If you do teh same routine everytime, or close to it, you will start seeing less results.
    High intensity is really important. So if you usually do the treadmill at 3% incline and 4.0 mph; every 5 minutes or so you should hike it up to 10% incline for a few mintues, then 10 mintues later hike it up to 4.4 mph. . .
    if you don't PUSH past comfort level most people will not see big changes in their physique.
    ALL cardio will improve your heart, but not all will make significant changes to your appearance.
    You're better off working super hard for 20 mintues than going easy/moderate for 30.

4. ^^^^ I agree w/ swanky.

(a) If you don't push past your comfort level, then you won't see results. I think the key is that the longer the workout, the more exhausted you get. i.e. If I go on the stair climber (the one w/ the revolving staircase) --- oh yea, it's easy going on it for 20 minutes... but i usually go for 45 mins (which is grueling)!!! Also, you don't want your body to get used to the workout. So instead of running the treadmill everyday, you might want to switch it up to a different cardio machine. You can probably a total body conditioning class in between the days.

(b) Effective changes = cardio + strength training (weight lifting) + eating really healthy. I've been working out for years and it's better to do a short cardio routine (20 mins) and then weight training opposed to a kick-butt class everyday. When I took tae-bo everyday, didn't see ANY results (but I felt like I was worked out), opposed to the cardio-weight train combo. Weight training continues to burn calories AFTER the workout.

5. The stair climber is my secret to fast results if I am too injured to run.

6. i agree with swanky and D&G rockstar.
    i recdently hit a major plateau (?spelling). and met with a trainer who change my routine around. i know do 10 minute warm of of cardio.free weights for 20minutes and then cardio afterwards for another 20 minutes or so. i do the cardio last because my body was so used to doing cardio first.i now have my trainer change my routine every 4 weeks and am impressed. i am loosing it very slowly, but its the healthiest way. lets see if i got it correct, you used up your glucose reserves within the first 20 minutes and then after that you burn fat?

good luck to everyone battling with the weightloss. no matter what we must stay focused and motivated. we will succeed and look even more stunnning:biggrin: .

7. Have found it is challenging to work out hard enough so that you get results but avoid working too hard which leads to fatigue and injury. It seems to be a fine line. Am now on a shedule of cardio 5 days a week for 50 minutes (spinning class) but of these only two or three are really hard. I do ab work -- pilates type exercises 5 days for about 30 minutes and weights three times a week for 20-30 minutes (upper body only for weights but stretch using yoga poses). I am afraid to change the routine because it seems to be working pretty well but I know I probably should.

8. If you're going to do 60 minutes, low intensity is okay, but enough so that you break a sweat.
    My 60 minute low-impact treadmill routine is 12 incline at 4mph.
    If I'm pressed for time, I'll do 1/2 hour on the Stairmaster, but at a level 9 or I'll do interval training on the treadmill on an incline, which is proven to burn the most calories.
    So I'll run for 2 minutes, then walk for2, run for 3, walk for 2, run for 5, walk for 5. The point is to get your heart pumping and then maintain it and then as soon as you feel like your heart rate is coming down, bring it up again.