Lonely Japanese man calls directory assistance 2600 times

1. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=373132

Lonely Japanese man calls directory help 2600 times

Wednesday Jan 30 16:30 AEDT

A lonely Japanese man has been arrested for allegedly calling directory assistance thousands of times because he liked to be scolded by female operators, police and reports said.

Takahiro Fujinuma — who is 37, single and unemployed — reportedly would whisper "darling" as he tried to start a conversation and then pleaded with operators not to hang up.

He was arrested in Tokyo on charges of obstructing the business of service operator NTT Solco, part of telecom giant Nippon Telegraph and Telephone.

He placed 2,600 calls to directory help — reached in Japan by dialling 104 — between early June and mid-November, a police spokesman said.

But Japanese media said he is suspected of starting his habit in 2004 and calling 104 more than 10,000 times.

He reportedly told police that he was lonely and grew to enjoy annoying the operators.

"I would go into ecstasy when a lady scolded me," he said, as quoted by Jiji Press.

Telephone operators — who in Japan are almost always women — nicknamed him the "don't-hang-up-man."

His calls usually came late and sometimes exceeded 200 times a night, Jiji Press said.

2. What a pest, but I feel a little sorry for the guy because he was doing it out of loneliness......and seeing someone suffering through loneliness and depression is heartbreaking.

3. lol!!! i saw this news on yahoo news this morning!!!
    i found it kinda funny tho:p

4. lonely my foot, he was being a pest.

it easy for a guy to make friends, just go to a bar and hang out. lol

5. I feel really sad for him, genuinely.

6. :lol: I wish my SO loved it when I yelled at him..

7. I guess it's cheaper than $3.99/min.

8. It's really sad! This guy has some social issues.

9. I first laughed out loud when I read this, but beneath the surface, this is just so sad! Poor guy!

The "don't-hang-up-man." SMH.

10. Hubba, you are SO BAD!!!! I love it!

I also feel sorry for him. Lonelyness is a horrible emotion. I bet he gets a little more attention now though!

11. Speedy, my the following quote is proof that it was in fact cheaper! When I call for info, I think it is 50 cents? So he was just being frugal! :p

12. I know Hubba! For awhile here, with a cheap phone plan (for regular phones, cell phones were still these huge radio like things) DA was 85 cents a call.

It did say he was unemployed so yeah, he had to be frugal!

And yes, some men enjoy the negative attention... weird!

13. How sad. This is proof we really can be surrounded by people and feel alone at the same time.

14. :lol:...... At the same time, it is rather sad.

15. Poor guy! The poor operators that had to deal with him too.