lol..is it silly to buy myself an $1800-$2000 ring?

Well..i can always say it's a "promise ring....a promise to myself to never forget that I can do anything when I set my mind to do it" lol.

yup, I would wear it on my right hand, like I do with my current ring right now..like one of those "right hand ring" that you see on adds by Simon G and Peoples etc...

^ I think that's a great idea! :yes:
I sometimes wear fancy rings on my right hand and I'm not engaged yet. People very rarely ask questions and if they do ask if it's an e-ring I just say "No" and leave it at that.

I don't think it is silly. Maybe I am sensitive to the subject,but it really bothers me that some feel that you cannot wear an "engagement" style ring on your right hand. What about those that never marry, never want to marry, etc., but still love diamonds but don't want earrings or a necklace, or a band ring, but actual stones that you can see and really enjoy!

Okay, off the soapbox. If you can do it, I don't find it silly. As to questions, I don't know that you'd even get them. If I saw a plain solitaire on a right hand, I *might* assume the woman was divorced, but would not make the assumption for a three stone ring or a solitaire ring w/ accent diamonds.

Right on Eliza!! Haha, I agree 100%. This is 2008, you can get whatever ring, and wear it on whatever finger you want. Who cares what someone else thinks???! I think its great that you are waiting on any guy to buy a ring for you (engagement or otherwise). Its about time women start realizing they can spend their own money on beautiful jewels, rather than pining away waiting for someone else to get it for them!

Ok ok, off my soapbox as well ;)

I wear a right-hand ring that resembles an engagement ring: it has a large diamond in the middle and 3 small baguette-cut diamonds on each side. People often assume I'm engaged, which is funny. Anyway, I personally prefer the look of engagement-type rings over the ones that are marketed as "right-hand" rings. If I could save the money, I would buy myself a big honkin' 2-carat ring! I would rather get something for myself with my own $ rather than wait for a guy to get it for me!

I think it is a great idea to buy jewelry for yourself! I have been married 8 years to a great man, yet I plan to buy a right hand ring for myself within the next year. If he wants to buy jewelry for me, fine...But if I do it myself, I'll get exactly what I want and the sense of accomplishment (from the saving) that goes along with it.

OK, you ladies convinced me to go ahead and set my diamond the way I want it, who cares if it looks like an engagement ring! Thanks for the empowerment!

Please post a pic when you do.

If jewelry companies ad execs were smart, they'd do ad campaigns encouraging women to buy "Empowerment Collections" for themselves. :lol:

It's not silly. Diamonds are not just for married people. I think that it would be a great way to motivate you towards your goals. If you can afford it and save up for it yourself then that's fabulous. If anyone asks you about it say that your are "in love - with jewelery".

I think it's perfectly acceptable to buy yourself rings/jewellery. I know this woman at work who's not married and has a 5ct RB and a 3+ ct marquise that she alternates on her engagement ring finger. Do whatever makes you feel good! Enjoy!!