Locally-Grown Food Directory

1. Hello! I thought it might be fun to start a thread about farms and other places where forumites might purchase locally-grown food.

People who opt to buy locally-grown food often do so because the food doesn't need as many preservatives to keep fresh (food travels on average 1,300 miles from farm to table), and because it gives them a chance to support local farmers directly. I think it's interesting to learn about what grows in your local environment and perhaps witness or even take part in the process yourself. :yes:

In Ottawa, Ontario, the Ottawa Farmers Market takes place every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Lansdowne Park until the end of October. Seasonal produce is available for purchase, along with homemade preserves and baked goods, game meat (buffalo, elk, deer, and ostrich come to mind), honey, herbs and flowers, all of which is locally grown. Most of the stalls offer tasters -- the grilled elk sausage is to die for. http://www.ottawafarmersmarket.ca/

How about where you live?

2. I live in the Seattle area and do a lot of home canning in the summer. The two places I go for my fruits and vegetables are Remlinger Farms in Carnation, Washington and the Bill Pace Fruit and Vegetable Market on Bellevue Way in Bellevue, located at the Bellevue Blueberry Farm.