local pickup, safe?

1. A lady wants to do a local pickup on a 2k bag. I told her OK but I will need to be paid cash (just in case she does a chargeback through Paypal for buyer's remorse or something). Is there anything I should be aware of? I was thinking of telling to meet me outside a bank, so I can deposit the money, to make sure it isn't fake, before giving her the bag. Is there also a risk that she'd beat me up and take the bag? Do people still use counterfeit money these days? I am being a little paranoid here...

2. We have only done a local pickup on large items, but I would definetly meet in a safe place with a lot of people. Is there someone that can go with you to meet her?

3. No, you're not. There are a lot of crazy people out there and someone a few towns over from me was killed for his car a few months back! I would definitely recommend taking someone with you, a friend/husband/bf or someone! Meet in a very public place during the day. That's probably a good idea about meeting outside a bank. People do still use counterfeit money and the counterfeiters are improving all the time. Be careful and don't go alone!

4. I used to do this routinely a few years ago, if it was requested. I even had a few people come to my apartment--and I live in the middle of New York City. I would not do this any longer though. Even though every one who picked up personally from me was a normal and nice person, eBay has changed a lot in the past couple of years and I no longer feel as trusting. Maybe meet at YOUR bank so that you don't have to walk around with 2K in your pocket.

5. Yes, I am going to suggest that we meet at my bank before closing so that I can deposit the $$ right away and make sure it is real.

6. I would meet inside the bank and refuse to hand over the bag until the cash has been looked at by a teller.

7. There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, said all the same good things this one does-bring someone, meet at bank, print out a receipt x 2 and you both sign (Bill of Sale)--don't forget! Better safe than sorry and all that jazz-and if she should call at the last minute and request a meeting somewhere other than the bank, don't go!!

8. I have done local pick up for things I have bought and sold on Craigslist-I always meet the person at a busy spot. In my case, I usually choose the local Barnes & noble store. That way, there is plenty of light and plenty of people around so I don't have to worry about anything funny happening.

Inside the bank sounds like a good bet to me.

9. I have picked up items, large like furniture, but I took my sister and my dad with me. I currently have furniture listed as local pickup only, but I will only schedule pickup when my husband is home.

10. Meeting at a bank is a really good idea for several reasons. Counterfeit money has been popping up all over recently so it's good to have it looked at by a teller before handing over the bag.

I would have her meet me inside of the lobby area - not the parking lot. It may even be a good idea to have someone with you. Taking a guy would be great if possible.

You aren't being paranoid at all! In fact, I think you're very, very smart.

Good luck!

11. I do not like to do local pickup at all, waste of time and gas. But I did it a couple of times when requested. I always request to meet in public place, like mall. Such an expensive item, I agree to meet at the bank, like other member suggested, have the teller check for counterfeit... also, bring bodyguard.

good luck!

12. i just handed over the bag! everything turned out well. we met at the bank, she gave me the cash, i had the teller count it and look it over, and i handed her the bag. i also brought my bf as a safety precaution. thanks guys for all the advice!