LMB or Applegarde or....

What protects my little b-baby best?

• LovinMyBags (which product?)

• Applegarde (which product?)

• Other (educate me)

Results are only viewable after voting.
i voted for appleguard... only because i haven't tried the lovinmybags stuff yet. i've used appleguard for 2 years and it's been great to me!

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread... but I'm completely new to this (I've never treated any of my bags before and so far they're fine.. but now I'm wondering if I should?)

but I've also heard about shining monkey to protect the bag? Is that relevant for bbags or is that only better for protecting the vachetta part of LVs to slow down the patina process?

Also for those in Canada - do you think Roots leather conditioner would work well?

TIA for the help!

jade, i heard that shining monkey is too rough for balenciaga's kidskin. not sure though? i've only used appleguard on by balenciagas. it's great to repel oils on your hands and prevents darkening of the handles... and protects the bag from brief rain drops.

jade, i heard that shining monkey is too rough for balenciaga's kidskin. not sure though? i've only used appleguard on by balenciagas. it's great to repel oils on your hands and prevents darkening of the handles... and protects the bag from brief rain drops.

Thanks esile! I'm getting my first bbag soon so I'm trying to learn more about how to protect it cuz I've seen quite a few pics lately of some really really dark handles! :yucky:

Which brings me to another question - is apple guarde and/or lubriderm safe for metallic bbags? I'm assuming maybe no to the conditioner/cleanser and I can only rely on spraying it with protectant to prevent issues rather than trying to fix them after the fact?

TIA!

jade, your welcome. i don't have any metallic bags, so i can't answer your question. although, i have heard that putting stuff on metallics can make it lose it's sheen. i'm sure? other PFers with metallics will chime in. by the way, congrats on your first bbag!!! how exciting!

jade, your welcome. i don't have any metallic bags, so i can't answer your question. although, i have heard that putting stuff on metallics can make it lose it's sheen. i'm sure? other PFers with metallics will chime in. by the way, congrats on your first bbag!!! how exciting!

heehee! YES! VERY EXCITING! Although I'm a bit worried about all those posts that say once you have one.. they seem to spawn and next thing you know you have 10! I can't afford that! :s

But I've been dreaming about this one since I saw it in the store on a fateful friday night - but I was trying to be on a purse ban so I resisted - and then of course tossed and turned all night thinking about it - returned the next day and it was sold out! ARGH! Talk about regrets! Since then I've tried a few times unsuccessfully of getting it elsewhere - so I am DEFINITELY very excited about it!

Anyways.. back to topic... if anyone knows how I can keep my new baby - metallic bbag in good condition and prevent peeling of the metalic and darkening of handles - that'd be great! Maybe the only thing is just careful use? I have a pewter metallic coloured miu miu since 2003 and it's holding up great with absolutely no treatment on it whatsoever.

Thanks again esile for your quick response!

Definitely LMB! The products are very gentle and barbara is an absolute sweetheart! If you do a search, you'll see a couple of before and after pics posted by Pupster. She used LMB pre-treatment on her rouge vif city and had great results! Good luck! =)

I've been using Applegarde (conditioner) and I just love it...I have both the spray and the conditioner and it works wonders...
I recently just purchased the LMG handle conditioner...it has yet to arrive but I hope it works as well. I have a greige city so I want to prevent darkening of the handles..

don't forget (for clarity's sake), that AppleGarde is actually the name of the protector/rain and stain repellant.
the brand is actually just called Apple; the conditioner is called Care (ie Apple Care)..

Yes, I have used both. I prefer the all the LMB products over Apple, although I have found that the Apple cleaner seems to be stronger and more effective than the LMB cleaner...

I'm so glad this question was asked as I was trying to figure out what the differences might be between the two.

The funny thing is that both Bal NY and my local B-bag retailer said DO NOT put anything on the leather. One of the gals at Susan showed me her 3 year old Courier black bag and it is SUPER soft and squishy smooshy beautiful. She said she does not and would not treat her bag and wanted to show me what it would look like if I did not treat it.

But I know most PF gals condition and treat their bags. So I'm torn. My Day is still wrapped for Xmas, so I have some time to figure things out but I am considering NOT treating it and seeing what happens...I figure I can always treat it if something happens right? :shrugs: However the Courier she showed me looked very 'old and used' and I could see how some people might want to treat to prevent that as long as possible. So I'm on the fence.

Personally I wouldn't treat a bag unless it's absolutely necessary and especially if it's not new. Most of my bags, even the oldest ones, have leather that is practically new or soft from use but not dry or parched, which is way beyond "lovingly worn". Out of the 20 or so older bags I have/had, I've only lightly moisturized one and conditioned/treated another because it really needed it. I look at a treatment as bringing the life back into the bag, not altering the leather if it's still in good condition. I also think Balenciaga informs its store and authorized retailers to advise against any sort of treatment or service to do so, since there are products that can alter the dye. It can also be a liability, even if it's a change for the better. I know people here will moisturize a brand new bag that was treated already by the manufacturer to get the veins/cracks out, which is fine but it's personal preference and isn't something a retailer wants to be responsible for .

i've used both, and find that LMB absorbs better, smells better (nice even) ...
apple guard felt more like white glue.. i always question myself, as i was applying it on my beloved bags, if the apple guard stuff was actually doing good to my babies...
LMB is less costly, but i can really see a difference, thirsty bags dont look thirsty anymore, something apple guard can never do.
good luck~ :smile:

I've only ever used LMB but I will not use it on new bags. The one exception has been my Blueberry Day that I thought was going to crack if I bent it the wrong way, it was so dry. I did put LMB protectant (pre-treatment) on the corners of my newer bags and on the bottom of my Rouge Vif to repel dirt when I set it down.
I noticed a definite change in the leather when I did that. I will not use any further products on my b-bags unless they're absolutely parched. I do recommend the handle protectant though, and the Shine Restore for older bags!