Link between milk and bed-wetting?

1. My son has been potty trained for way over a year and did not have 1 single accident overnight until a couple months ago.

Ever since, if he drinks milk anytime after 5 pm, he wets the bed. That is the only link that we can find, and I wonder if that is truely what is causing the problem or if there is something else...thanks for any advice that you can lend!

2. I don't think there's a link to be honest.
    I also moderate a very busy parenting board for this age group and I've never heard that and haven't experienced it w/ my kids either.
    How old is he?

Now, milk DOES have calcium in it, which helps people relax, maybe he just sleeps harder when drinking it?

3. I agree with Swanky. Many adults take a calcium and magnesium supplement to help with sleep, so it could very easily be the calcium in the milk that is causing a deeper than normal sleep pattern. The casein and tryptophan in milk also aid in relaxation.

4. My ex used to wet the bed occasionally, and he was in his 30s! I don't know why he'd do it. I think with kids it just happens sometimes but why would a grown man wet the bed?

5. He is 5. Like I said, this just started and we cannot get a handle on it...thanks for all of your responses, by the way!

6. Has anything else changed?
    Nightmares, issue at school or home?
    Random bed wetting up until age 7-8 is still considered normal, but sometimes there's a cause you don't think of.

7. it is a psychological problem at that age with the brain not properly processing the signals that it is time to go. It can be treated with tri-cyclic anti-depressants.

8. Litigatrix, now that you mention that, I think it stopped when he started taking antidepressants.

9. The tri-cyclics are a wonder drug in a lot of ways. I am taking it now, not for depression, but for nerve pain. It has made a huge difference.

10. why a child wets the bed was explained to me by my son's ped [my son is 7 and has issues staying dry at night] the way his doc described it was like this...the bladder gets half full to full and sends a message to the brain that it needs to empty it's self. the brain doesn't respond because it's sleeping, so the bladder waits a bit and then empties it's self. so if your son is a deep sleeper that is the reason why he has accidents. plus as he is growing the bladder has to catch up.

11. #11 Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
    This thread was made when my son was 5...he's 7 now and has only had one accident in the past year.

I don't know about that SleepDoc thing...I never needed it! Good luck!

12. bumped by spammer :rolleyes:

13. SWANKY!!! Make them go away!!! :p Love you honey!!!

14. girl we are toooo valuable for them to ever go away!
    :winkiss: back atcha

15. Yes. Something to do with the pituitary gland and physical maturity. Nothing to do with emotional problems etc. Hereditary condition. Doesn't surface in every kid in a generation. largely undetected because people don't like to fess up to it. Which is a pity because people suffer in silence when it can easily be fixed.

I remember my kids having it and the doc said there is a nasal spray they could use if they were planning on going to a sleep over and worried about it.

Having said that, if my younger daughter has something sweet later in the evening, all bets are off!!! So she just avoids any sweet drinks of any kind after 8pm. It doesn't happen often enough for it to be a problem.