Ligers are real!

1. a full grown liger grows up to be 900 lbs whereas a full grown tiger is 500 lbs.
    Liger Video
  2. Ha!Ha! I know! I researched it right after I saw Napoleon Dynamite. There's actually a few of them in Nevada.
  3. lol yeah I saw something on it after that movie too.
  4. That's cute!
  5. Holy cow! Pardon my ignorance, but that's real?! I can't believe it! He's enormous :wtf:
  6. Yeah, I knew that before I saw Napoleon Dynamite. I remember seeing them on Animal Planet once.

Angelica, not that many people have seen them, because they're extremely rare. Male ligers are sterile, but female ligers are not fertile and can breed with tigers (resulting in ti-ligers) or to lions (resulting in li-ligers).

A Liger is a cross between a male lion and a female tiger.

A tigon is a cross between a male tiger and a female lion.

Here's a link to wikipedia on Ligers (and on that page is a link to the Tigon)

Liger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  7. I've heard of them before. Why would anyone breed lions and tigers together?
  8. I'm sick, I feel like crap, I'm bored and I have lots of time on my hands. I'll answer that one!

Ligers are controversial because tigers are endangered, and you'd think that you'd want to mate a tiger with a tiger.

In the wild, for the most part, a lion will mate with a lion and a tiger will mate with a tiger.

The breeding of ligers has always been easily accomplished, both by accident and design.

In the wikipedia article, the occurances of ligers happened when the lions and tigers were in captivity.

Maybe there was no female lion / male tiger available when it came time for the cats to mate? What's worse: Having that particular tiger die out, or having that tiger's genes in a 'hybrid' cat?
  9. adorable!!!
  10. that's cool ****
  11. I've seen one of these IRL, they are huge!! They can climb trees, swin and run at very fast speeds (can't remeber how fast) so if they decide your dinner your chances are not very good