Life without a gallbladder

1. I went to the ER last Monday morning and was admitted and told my gallbladder had to come out. I had gallstones and a really bad infection. They finally did the operation on Wed and I was home by Friday! I was so glad for it to be over. So now I am doing all the research on how my diet is supposed to change and what to do differently. Just wondering if any of you have had this operation and how it has affected you?
  2. Had it. Got lots of gas over the next several months, but then everything went back to normal.
  3. Really no long term effect that I've found. They recommend a low-fat diet, but that's a good idea anyway. Even when I've had some higher fat meals, I haven't had a problem.
  4. It's different for everyone. I know a lot of people who had the surgery, and they are totally fine. But me...well, I often have to use the restroom urgently after a big meal, and I have diarrhea often. But it is not anything that disrupts my life at all. I've adapted to it. You'll just have to wait and see how things go for you, but I'm sure it will be just fine. So glad you are ok!
  5. Thanks everyone! I had heard that I should do smaller meals and low fat. I need to do that anyway! So perhaps this will just give me more of a reason to be a little healthier!