Life span of a birkin

I think a birkin can last many many years. You still find vintage bags online. When it starts getting worn you can take and send it to the spa to get treated. Plus the girls on here have great tips for caring and treating bags.

If cared for properly,depending upon the leather type IMO the thicker stiff leathers which are smooth last the longest and look better over time where as the slouchy texured leathers tend to get more wear especially at the bottom where the panels front,side and rear panels get roll over and end up getting into contact with the ground or where ever it's placed.

IMO, a 35cm Birkin Bag if cared for with proper up keep and used every day in the following leather should last :

Vache Natural 40-50 years or more (typical corner wear and color changes expected)
Box Calf 40-50 years or more (typical corner wear expected)
Togo,Clemence,Barenia 30-35 years or more (corners and bottom seams and edges wear expected)
Fjord,Buffalo Gala,Water Buffalo 40 years possibly more (typical corner wear expected)
Courchevel,Epsom,Vache Leigee,Ardeenes 40 years possibly more ("" ^^^"" )
Swift,Veau Gulliver 30-35 years possibly more (corners and bottom seams and edges wear expected)
Chevre 30-35 years possibly more (depends on how stiff it is and if it has roll over or not)

Keeping in mind this is my guess for a bag used everyday over years upon years in the leathers given^^^ all will be expected to have corner wear ,color changes to the handles,rubs,hardware scratches,may need stitching repairs,etc...
Additionally smile marks and/or half circle cuts/scaring unnder the turn lock plate on those bag which have a swinging lock hung from the turn lock.

Last edited:
If cared for properly,depending upon the leather type IMO the thicker stiff leathers which are smooth last the longest and look better over time where as the slouchy texured leathers tend to get more wear especially at the bottom where the panels front,side and rear panels get roll over and end up getting into contact with the ground or where ever it's placed.

IMO, a 35cm Birkin Bag if cared for with proper up keep and used every day in the following leather should last :

Vache Natural 40-50 years or more (typical corner wear and color changes expected)
Togo,Clemence,Barenia 30-35 years or more (corners and bottom seams and edges wear expected)
Fjord,Buffalo Gala,Water Buffalo 40 years possibly more (typical corner wear expected)
Courchevel,Epsom,Vache Leigee 40 years possibly more ("" ^^^"" )
Swift,Veau Gulliver 30-35 years possibly more (corners and bottom seams and edges wear expected)
Chevre 30-35 years possibly more (depends on how stiff it is and if it has roll over or not)

Keeping in mind this is my guess for a bag used everyday over years upon years in the leathers given^^^ all will be expected to have corner wear ,color changes to the handles,rubs,hardware scratches,may need stitching repairs,etc...
Additionally smile marks and/or half circle cuts/scaring unnder the turn lock plate on those bag which have a swinging lock hung from the turn lock.
I am using one of my mom's birkin , which she had before I came to this world.
now I am in the mid 30's and the bag still looks like new.:smile:

docride said:

Oh dear docride.. Thanx so much for sharing.. You've always been so generous with your knowledge.. :flowers:

Oh dear docride.. Thanx so much for sharing.. You've always been so generous with your knowledge.. :flowers:

My pleasure, do keep in mind I am stating those numbers for the real in use work horse every day of every year evey weather status Birkin 35cm bags...

Bags which see less harsh conditions and are up kept properly would be expected to last 2x-3x as long.....

Thank you so much for sharing your info. I am surprised to see chèvre on the bottom of list.

Thank you so much for sharing your info. I am surprised to see chèvre on the bottom of list.

It's written on the bottom of the list but the list is not in graduated order. Chevre is however in line with the same or similar expected wear as Togo,Clemence and Gulliver, veau ever grain, and all other leathers that relax downward with heavy use and if it (chevre) ended up with slouching and roll over at the bottom edges of teh front,sides and rear panels. Some chevre is quite stiff and thick and some relaxes downward as mentioned....
So the thicker and stiff kind of chevre which does not get roll over at the bottom level would last longer IMO.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this valuable information docride!

QUOTE=docride;22412889]If cared for properly,depending upon the leather type IMO the thicker stiff leathers which are smooth last the longest and look better over time where as the slouchy texured leathers tend to get more wear especially at the bottom where the panels front,side and rear panels get roll over and end up getting into contact with the ground or where ever it's placed.

Courchevel,Epsom,Vache Leigee,Ardeenes 40 years possibly more ("" ^^^"" )

Additionally smile marks and/or half circle cuts/scaring unnder the turn lock plate on those bag which have a swinging lock hung from the turn lock.[/QUOTE]