Lexapro...anyone taking it?

1. My eldest daughter has been dealing with some depression and anxiety for awhile and our MD just prescribed Lexapro.

I know that there are some pro's and con's with this medication. If anyone is on it..and wouldn't mind telling us....how's it working for you???
  2. I am not on it but I am in the mental health field (psychologist) and have seen many people who were on this med, and I have to say I think it is one of the best out there. Pretty few side effects. Let the others weigh in, especially Mick, who is an MD psychiatrist.
  3. I've been on a fairly low dose for 4 years and it's worked well. No side effects except I gained about 5-6 pounds. I tried another anti-depressant that made me ravenous; got off that one fast.
  4. ^^^I'll out myself as a psychologist as well. I have heard postive things in terms of it being one of the newer drugs with few side effects. It's a relatively new drug, so there's no generic alternative, which means it can expensive.However, my concern is always finding the right drug for what the person is dealing with in terms of, is it depression or depression mixed with anxiety or depression as the result of anxiety. That can play a role on the effectiveness. I'm not a psychiatrist, so I will let a psychiatrist speak to that. I have a friend diagnosed with dysthymia (a mild form of depression) who is on lexapro and seems to be doing well.
  5. One of my drs. put me on it and it's been amazing. It took a good six months to kick in, but it works really well. My dr. also said tons of people are taking it because it works so well. My pharmacist did tell me that there's a really rare but possible concern about risk of seizures and interaction with other drugs. Do a google search for the drug online and there are forums where people post about their experiences with it. You have to do a little digging, but I'm thumbs up on this one. Good luck.
  6. I've been on Lexapro for about 6 months now for depression and anxiety. It has been a total life change for me. I am completely and totally satisfied with it. I did gain around 30 lbs though which my down side. But mentally I feel 100% better.
  7. thank you all for your input. My daughter reports feeling better already..but did say she had some shakiness and sweating last night..but not to the point where she was bothered.

She reacts to medications so delicately which is one of the reasons she hesitated to be treated. I am optimistic and hopeful this med works for her.
  8. Hubby just 'weaned' off of it after being on it a bit over a year. Was very good to him. He did say, however, that after he got off it, he wasn't as tired and didn't feel the need to go to bed as early as when on it.
  9. I'm on it to help with dysthymia. I have no problems with it at all, like it better than paxil. I've been taking it for 2 years. Take 1/2 pill a day.
  10. I was on it for a short time after a rough break-up. Couldn't sleep. Got RLS. Very shaky. Got off of it asap.

Having said that these drugs do vary per person and I've heard success stories also.. just not for me.
  11. Back when my OB doctor thought I was depressed and it was my hormones put me on this drug and some others including Zoloft, Prozac and Effezor. Don't come off this drug cold turkey. You'll have some sweating, headaches and dizziness.