Let's talk relocation

I can relate to this. My daughter wanted to play high school softball and would not be able to if she didn't live in the town where the school was located. They have this probation rule. So my husband and daughter moved for a year because we didn't want to sell our home. My Mom owns the house in back of mine. I personally wouldn't want to go thru that again, some experiences are not ment to be repeated!

Good luck thru all of this.

twinkletoes said:
Omigosh Becca, I live about an hour away from Skaneateles! It's BEAUTIFUL there. A gorgeous but tiny lakeside community with a fabulous school system, very friendly people, fabulous restaurants (Sherwood Inn, Rosalies-to die-for Italian, Krebs), great boutique shopping, sailing, and a four star spa - Mirbeau. If I could move anywhere in the world, it would be Skaneateles.

But be sure to pronounce it as the locals do - "Skinny-atlas!"

Twinkle, where do you live? I have to buy a house in a good school system. Are you in Central NY?

coco-nut said:
Becca, here are my words of advice: Find a good Realtor!

If you (or anyone else!) need help, please send me a PM. I am a residential Realtor who knows dedicated Realtors all over the country and I will make sure that you get hooked up with a person who will help make your move as painless as possible.

And I've even been to Skaneateles! My best friend when I was six moved there with her family and my dad worked for GE for 25 years. The finger lakes region is a lovely place to raise children and the natural beauty is serenity-inducing.

That is so cool! Yes, we do have a good realtor, but the housing market is soft. We do not want new construction (I want trees in my yard!!) but a "newer" home on a wooded lot. Yes, a lot to ask for, I know! I am panicking though because if we do not find a house this weekend, we will have to stay with my in-laws and honestly, I would rather be shot in the head. :lol:

Becca4277 said:
That is so cool! Yes, we do have a good realtor, but the housing market is soft. We do not want new construction (I want trees in my yard!!) but a "newer" home on a wooded lot. Yes, a lot to ask for, I know! I am panicking though because if we do not find a house this weekend, we will have to stay with my in-laws and honestly, I would rather be shot in the head. :lol:
It can be done in a weekend. As long as you and your husband are in agreement about what you're looking for in terms of price, location, size, and floorplan (ie, number of bedrooms, baths, family room, etc.) and have communicated this to your agent, you should be able to find a terrific house. Goodness knows, it's a buyer's market.

Becca4277 said:
Twinkle, where do you live? I have to buy a house in a good school system. Are you in Central NY?

Yes! I'll be happy to help make your already difficult transition here easier! If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address. That way I can answer (hopefully) any questions you have about the area, the schools, weather etc. :biggrin:

Oh Becca, I know how you feel. My husband and I have moved 8 times (across the country, different states, etc) and we have kids too. We just moved from NY to CA 7 months ago, moved into a rented house, and will be moving to another house (that we purchased) at the end of summer. It's stressful but I find new places exciting.

I know how stressful moving can be!! Growing up we moved so many times it was ridiculous. In a period of 1 year I had been in 3 schools at one point! Not easy, but character building.

I can only imagine the stress though. My mom spent time alone with us whilemy dad moved forward before- she said it was hard but you are so busy planning that you find a way for it to all work out! Good luck and do anything to help de-stress!

unfortunately i'm no help because i've only moved once and that was to a house around the corner on the same block as my old house...and i was like 3 so i don't even remember. but i hope you enjoy that spa day! i also hope you find a house SOON!