Lets Discuss the Ultimate Basic Items to always have in your closet?

If you can look at the item and imagine at least three outfits that you already have that will be improved by this item, buy it!

If not, keep looking for the item that meets the above requirement.

That is a great tip!:tup: I must remember it and pass it on to my SIL (who is the biggest clothes junkie EVER!!!:Push:smile:.

I think everyone's job requirements and lifestyle is different... their closet essentials will be different as well.

I wear mostly suits to work, my closet will always need
#1) suit jackets/suits
#2) pencil skirts (I practically collect them) I love them trend or other-wise
#3) shirts (a must)
#4) tops (like cami-top or halter etc... for warmer days)
#5) dresses (that I can layer or wear by themselves)
#6) my gym wears (I work out 5-6 days a week) is my staple for my non-working wear.

I don't do much pants/jeans unless it is snowing very heavy and I am required to head out.

Closet tip... invest in
classic styles and
materials... quality is everything.

I will invest in high designer brands when they are either leather or wool... materials that will last more than a few years.

or on "styles" that are classic, (like my Burberry striped shirt, the woolen nova checked strapless wrap evening dress from Burberry, Oscar de la Renta black august silk ruffled shirt, Tuxedo striped psuedo rubber pants from Prada etc.) will always be in style no matter how/when you choose to wear it... or they can last till the "come back" of the style.

For me I have to have white button down shirts - more than one
V Nech sweaters - light weight wool
Good fitting black pants
good fitting jeans
Tank tops for layering
good pair of black heels

[/list]I've seen the show once and thought they had a lot of useful, real information. I got so excited with the above list that I am going to clear out my closet, too.

I had good luck shopping online with Nordstrom. I have a City DKNY white shirt. I love Macy's, I.N.C. for fun pieces, and Jones New York for well made, tailored cuts.

Aslo, where are you finding your cashmere, ladies? tx
I bought a few cashmere swaeters at Saks Off Fifth this week. They were 40% off and came to about $60-75 each. I also bought some at NM last call, for a bit more. I bought classic colors, black, wheat, navy, brown, but plan to hit Macys this week as well. I have my seen a leopard print (that is toned down), and may give it a try!:smile:

My essentials:
-Collared shirts in a variety of colors (white, blue, black..)
-Dress pants in several colors (black, white, brown, charcoal)
-Pencil Skirt (same as pants)
-Loads of jeans
-Sweaters and cardigans
-basic tees

Almost all of my basics seem to come from Jcrew, which I never realized until now! Not too pricey but fits me extremely well.

My list (and in my closet):
- Black cashmere turtleneck
- Black wool trousers that can go from work to cocktails
- Black wool or cashmere dress that's work appropriate
- Pearl studs
- Pearl necklace
- A Patek, Cartier Tank, or Jagaer Reverso watch
- White eyelet or linen dress
- DVF graphic-print wrap dress
- Bernado flip-flops
- Lily Pulitzer or Pucci bright print shift
- Chanel black lambskin 2.55
- Modest, no-logo tote for work, like Longchamp
- Chunky cocktail ring
- Opaque black tights
- Nondescript comfortable pants (like no-logo fleece Juicy Couture pants or Lucy yoga pants) to run errands in

I too agree that I would like to start having quality items over quantity/trendy items

Its so funny because I now find myelf looking at the item and and wondering if its gonna last after this season

I do find myself going to J crew for my staples because I love their fit and wool!

J.Crew makes amaaazing pieces. I have a black strapless embossed beach dress that I can wear with fancy heels to the fancy restaurants of Atlantic City (where I practically LIVE in the summer) or flip flops to the mall. My closet, let's see...

-Jeans (dark & ligh, bootcut & straight)
-Black, charcoal and light grey dress pants (for work/dinners in winter)
-Black dress (my J.Crew one)
-Tanks in ALL colors (it looks like a rainbow)
-Cashmere halter with a glass beaded bodice (go-to for NYE parties!)
-Polos in all colors
-Collar shirts (for work - I work at Barnes & Noble so it's dressy but not suit-dressy)
-Sweaters (I have everything from Ralph to American Eagle to J.Crew cashmere)
-Coats (Black pea coat, grey pea coat from Old Navy, dark and light brown suede, white puffy)
-HOODIES (for when I'm running to the grocery store quickly)
-Black and brown boots
-Comfy sneakers from AE
-Sandals in every color
-Flop flops in every color

I wonder why many people think that it's a european thing to only have a few staple items that you wear all the time. I hear that very often and always wonder why?
P.S.: I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes, I'm just curious, because I am european...

^^^ See thats the thing I never think you all only have a few staple pieces I just know from a lot of my friends that are european that they buy better quality staples and then will buy lower/mid price other items to compliment the staples

I wonder why many people think that it's a european thing to only have a few staple items that you wear all the time. I hear that very often and always wonder why?
P.S.: I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes, I'm just curious, because I am european...

I completely agree. My European friends have just as much clothes, and just as much of it is the same cheap sort of stuff Americans guy... we shouldn't forget that H&M and Mango and Zara are all European companies...