Let's be honest... Is it best to buy a used Chanel or buy Chanel at Chanel Boutique

It depends on what kind of bag you're after. My first 2 Chanel's were vintage and thank god have never had an issue with their authenticity. This is where you need to be careful with pre-owned bags. Do your research and get it authenticated.

I recently just bought a brand new boy from the boutique, my first boutique bag purchase. There was one pre-owned Boy in the combo I was after and it didn't have the box with it, for me that's kind of a deal breaker. The seller was firm on their price and it was only $300 difference to a brand new one at the boutique. I seriously considered it for a while as I was told the combo is very hard to find. I was lucky enough to end up finding it at the boutique.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons and ultimately up to which bag you're after. Half the time the price difference of the same bag pre-owned and brand new at the boutique is only a few hundred (not saying that's small potatoes cos every dollar counts), rarely is in the thousands.

Reactions: helenNZ and adguru
Pre-owned because I can't afford new. I tend to the like vintage looking bags in general so while I like some of the current styles none of them really appeals to me enough to buy unless I won the lottery :smile: Lastly there is a limit to what I will spend on a handbag, spending several thousands is out of the question, I'm not even tempted.

Hoping to get your feedback...just purchased a vintage square lamb mini from fashionphile. It is in great condition. But I am also first on the waiting list for the black rectangular mini in caviar (my sa said it will arrive in December). I am conflicted between keeping the vintage piece, or getting the new caviar mini. It is hard to justify having both. Vintage appeals to me because of the gold plating and the better price. And it is so well made. But the caviar rectangular mini is so hard to find, and I know it will have great resale. Plus the vintage bag is lamb, so it can't be an everyday bag, unlike the caviar, bag. Thoughts? Thanks!

Hoping to get your feedback...just purchased a vintage square lamb mini from fashionphile. It is in great condition. But I am also first on the waiting list for the black rectangular mini in caviar (my sa said it will arrive in December). I am conflicted between keeping the vintage piece, or getting the new caviar mini. It is hard to justify having both. Vintage appeals to me because of the gold plating and the better price. And it is so well made. But the caviar rectangular mini is so hard to find, and I know it will have great resale. Plus the vintage bag is lamb, so it can't be an everyday bag, unlike the caviar, bag. Thoughts? Thanks!
I can justify having both, since you indicate you'd use the caviar as an everyday bag, and the vintage will be more special-occasion. You don't say what the hardware is on the new caviar -- if gold, you will definitely notice a quality difference between the gold plating and the current gold-tone hardware. If the new one is silver or ruthenium HW that's even more reason to have both :smile: For me, it would come down to a couple of things: 1) Are you confident that the vintage bag is authentic?, 2) what are the price differences -- I'm not sure the vintage wouldn't have better resale over time -- 3) I haven't looked for a mini but I wouldn't think a rectangular mini would be that hard to find, esp. in black. Have you considered getting the rectangular bag in a different color? Just my 2 cents; good luck with the decision!

Reactions: Lyndsey MacNair
I can justify having both, since you indicate you'd use the caviar as an everyday bag, and the vintage will be more special-occasion. You don't say what the hardware is on the new caviar -- if gold, you will definitely notice a quality difference between the gold plating and the current gold-tone hardware. If the new one is silver or ruthenium HW that's even more reason to have both :smile: For me, it would come down to a couple of things: 1) Are you confident that the vintage bag is authentic?, 2) what are the price differences -- I'm not sure the vintage wouldn't have better resale over time -- 3) I haven't looked for a mini but I wouldn't think a rectangular mini would be that hard to find, esp. in black. Have you considered getting the rectangular bag in a different color? Just my 2 cents; good luck with the decision!
Such wonderful advice! Thank you for your input! I don't know what the hardware will be on the caviar mini, it is part of the cruise 2017 collection. I guess the issue for me is cost. The vintage mini was 2100 (did I overpay?), and the caviar mini will be 3100. It doesn't thrill me to spend so much on bags in just a few months. I bought the vintage mini off fashionphile, so I think it is authentic. If not, it is a truly stunning replica. I will try and attach a pic. Thanks again!

Such wonderful advice! Thank you for your input! I don't know what the hardware will be on the caviar mini, it is part of the cruise 2017 collection. I guess the issue for me is cost. The vintage mini was 2100 (did I overpay?), and the caviar mini will be 3100. It doesn't thrill me to spend so much on bags in just a few months. I bought the vintage mini off fashionphile, so I think it is authentic. If not, it is a truly stunning replica. I will try and attach a pic. Thanks again!
To compare prices on mini's I suggest looking at www.annsfabulousfinds.com. They are reputable and price fairly, with good descriptions.

Reactions: LindsayMonet

If you want a carefree everyday bag, most definitely go for caviar. I have the mini in both lambskin and caviar and while the lambskin one is beyond stunning to look at and feels so velvety:love: , my caviar mini has been my rock. In use for almost 3 years now and looks new! I can't find any signs of wear on the exterior (and I'm extremely picky). That thing is about indestructible, I'm telling you. Of course, it also depends on what caviar it is. Soft and iridescent caviar don't hold up as well.
My lambskin mini I use for special occasions and here and there during daytime, but definitely not as much as my caviar one. It's one of my most beautiful bags, though :heart:, as I love the look of puffy lambskin!
And if you worry about resale price, IMO caviar definitely holds its value better than lamb.
Now comes the question whether it's worth it to spend over 1k more for the caviar, and that really depends on you and your intended use for the bag.

I do have to point out that the structure of the rectangular mini (the sides) is not as sturdy as the square one. Even in caviar.

If you want a carefree everyday bag, most definitely go for caviar. I have the mini in both lambskin and caviar and while the lambskin one is beyond stunning to look at and feels so velvety:love: , my caviar mini has been my rock. In use for almost 3 years now and looks new! I can't find any signs of wear on the exterior (and I'm extremely picky). That thing is about indestructible, I'm telling you. Of course, it also depends on what caviar it is. Soft and iridescent caviar don't hold up as well.
My lambskin mini I use for special occasions and here and there during daytime, but definitely not as much as my caviar one. It's one of my most beautiful bags, though :heart:, as I love the look of puffy lambskin!
And if you worry about resale price, IMO caviar definitely holds its value better than lamb.
Now comes the question whether it's worth it to spend over 1k more for the caviar, and that really depends on you and your intended use for the bag.

I do have to point out that the structure of the rectangular mini (the sides) is not as sturdy as the square one. Even in caviar.
Such good advice! I am going to keep the vintage piece, and get a caviar Woc for everyday.

Such good advice! I am going to keep the vintage piece, and get a caviar Woc for everyday.
That sounds like the perfect solution! Your vintage piece sounds stunning and you obviously love it. WOC is a perfect everyday piece and eventually if you want another caviar bag you can get something a little larger. Or a tote for the extras (sunnies, book, umbrella) that won't fit in your bag. Enjoy!!

Hello all! :wave:

What an interesting subject, I have read all your comments/reasons/arguments about new or preowned Chanel and I have to say...

I prefer vintage because I love antiques and find treasures around. For this reason I start my Chanel collection full of vintage pieces, all discontinued bags I can't find today. In addition, I feel happy to carry something different with character and classy, so years give it a plus.

All my bags come from reputable online sellers who offers authenticity, good condition and secure policies to buy with confidence. By the way I try to learn, research, read, compare to make a first examination to the bag I want to buy.

If I have doubts, I can send my bag for an expert authentication. If I want to care my vintage Chanel, I can send it to professional hands for a spa.

So, you have options beautiful ladies... but the decision concerns your personality and what you want.

Kisses!
:heart:

I just purchased my first Chanel and went the vintage route (1989 - 1991). I simply love a vintage bag and prefer carrying something that everyone else is not. I researched and researched so that I could do the best job possible authenticating my bag (I DO believe it's authentic!). Rather than going the online route, I went to a local vintage handbag store, where I visited the bag 4x before pulling the trigger (it was on promotion and final sale).

Low and behold, first time I wore the bag it transferred the black all over my brand new white shirt. A little more diligence and now I'm fairly certain the bag was improperly re-dyed. Yesterday I dropped it off at a very high end handbag refurbisher in NYC. The leather in the chain is not salvageable and needs to be replaced. It looked fine to me in terms of stitching, but that dye is coming off ALOT. The rest of the bag will be cleaned and polished. I'm told it will resolve some of the problem, but not 100%.

I still love vintage, but Caveat Emptor. You just need to know that when you're buying outside of a Chanel store, you'll never really know 100% what you're getting.

On that note, as a newbie, if anyone can tell me what style of Chanel bag this is, I'd greatly appreciate it!! I was told at the store it is called a Chanel Classic Box Flap, but I'm not certain.

Attachments

• CHANEL.jpg
    CHANEL.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 446