Legs Turn Purple...Any Ideas?

1. My legs and feet (especially my knees and toes) turn purple-ish when I stand or sit. I'm really fair-skinned, so it's REALLY noticeable. Since it's summer, I have to wear shorts and skirts, and it's so embarassing :wtf:.

When I wake up in the morning, my legs are all one color. Also, if I have my legs elevated, my skin tone is even. I have a mild case of Raynaud's Phenomenon, so I wonder if it's somehow related. I talked to my doctor about it, and she didn't seem worried at all in terms of it posing a health risk...so it's mainly a cosmetic problem.

A little about me that might be applicable to this situation: I don't smoke, drink, or have diabetes. I don't work out regularly, but I do walk all over my college campus every day, so I do get a fair amount of exercise in. I could stand to gain a few pounds, but I'm by no means at an unhealthy weight.

Have any of y'all experienced anything like this? It drives me crazy!

2. Yes, I sometimes eexperience this too, only it's not too noticeable. I think it has something to do with circulation? Not really sure what we could do to fix it though.

3. Poor circulation

4. by any chance, does diabetes run in your family?

okay i just reread your post..

it's weird how it would discolor so quickly if there wasn't something blocking blood flow.

5. It does sound like poor circulation. Have you considered wearing the Teds stockings to improve circulation? They really do help, although they're not attractive :graucho:

6. This is caused by poor circulation. It's a condition called Raynauds disease. I have it and from what I understand it's heriditary. It especially affects fingers and toes. Do some research and good luck....

7. I have Raynauds too..It does sometimes affect my legs ...Mostly my hands though

8. Me too. Once I was having a manicure and my nails turned so purple the manicurist stopped.
    Jill- strange things we have in common...