"He (Materazzi) pulled on my shirt several times and I
    told him that we could swap shirts at the end of the
    game if he wanted to," Zidane*said in a live interview on
    French television channel Canal Plus.

"He then pronounced very tough words, words that hurt
    me deeply, words about my mother and my sister. At
    first, I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating

"I knew it was my last game and I knew there were only
    10 minutes to play but things happened very swiftly.

"I am a man before anything else.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have
    heard that."

Zidane had kept his own counsel on Sunday's events
    prior to his interview on French television and he has
    apologised for his actions - but still feels Materazzi was
    the guilty party.

"I apologise to all the children who watched the match
    on Sunday. This was not something to do. I want to
    make it clear because it was watched by two billion
    people and by millions of kids," Zidane said.

"I want to apologise to them but I can't regret what I did
    because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to
    say what he said."

Zidane felt referee Horacio Elizondo was correct to
    send him off.

"Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been
    provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable," Zidane

Zidane said that he would seek to defend himself at an
    upcoming Fifa hearing.

"I will go and I will tell everything I have just said," he

"The reaction is always punished but if there is no
    provocation there is no reaction. The guilty person is
    the one who provokes.

"If I reacted that way, it is because something bad
    happened. Do you really believe that 10 minutes before
    the end of my career I would be able to make such a
    bad gesture? The provocation was very serious."

Some had suggested Zidane may reconsider his
    decision to retire so as not to end his career on such a
    low note, but the midfield superstar says there will no

"This is a decision I have made and I will not go back
    on it," he said. "This is definite. I will not play again."
  2. "I am a man before anything else."`

Poor Zizou...:crybaby: but he truly is a real man :girlsigh:
  3. I have no sympathy for him - it was a totally class-less act.

Zinédine Zidane has been sent off 14 times in his career, two more than Vinnie Jones. Here are those red cards in full . . .

Sep 1993: Marcel Desailly, the Marseilles defender, punches him and the Bordeaux midfield player retaliates in kind.

Aug 1995: Slaps Thorsten Fink, a Karlsruhe player, in the face.

Oct 1995: Sees red for a tackle from behind on Frédéric Mendy, a Martigues player.

Sep 1996: At Juventus, sent off against Perugia after two bookings.

Jan 1997: Punches Enrico Chiesa, of Parma.

June 1998: Stamps on Fuad Amin, the Saudi Arabia captain, during World Cup finals.

Oct 1998: Commits a two-footed challenge on Paolo Sousa, the Inter Milan player.

Oct 1999: Receives a second yellow card for diving against AS Roma.

Sep 2000: Late challenge on Emerson, the Deportivo La Coruña midfield player, in Champions League.

Oct 2000: Butts Jochen Kientz, of SV Hamburg, and receives five-match ban.

Feb 2004: First sending-off at Real Madrid for thrusting hand into face of Pablo Alfaro, the Seville defender.

May 2004: Sent off for second booking after a rash challenge on Djalminha, the Deportivo midfield player.

April 2005: Tries to punch Quique Álvarez, the Villarreal defender.

July 2006: Butts Marco Materazzi in chest during World Cup final
  4. I saw that interview on television last night and i was very moved...:crybaby: He truly meant what he said......i was hoping that we would see him play again :sad:

I hope that they don't punish him for what he did and that he can keep his award as best fifa worldcup player 2006.:nuts:

:heart: :heart: Zizou We Love You !!!:heart: :heart:
  5. Honestly, I think some words just really hurt... and would send anyone off their rocker. That is the same for me. Should he have kept his composure better? Yes, but sometimes it is really hard- he may have a bit of a temper and that is why he was provoked like that.. but whatever was said must have been AWFUL.
  6. tbh we can say oh if i was in that situation i would have kept my cool etc.. but i dont think many of us would. all the hype surrounding the game and its one of the biggest games in his career ever it all just bottled up and he probably didnt think twice about it, i certainly wouldnt if somebody insulted my family... id do more than headbutt the bugger anyway.
  7. yes, he was very calm along the game. and something really bad must have said to him to made him did that. and FIFA better do something to clear this case.
  8. I was watching the Inside Edition and some of the British newspapers had ppl who read lips translate what was said and if what was said was true, he had every right to get angry
  9. Oh please........I wonder who else he beats on when something bad is said to him. And this guy has a history of it. Physical violence is un-pardonable. Period.
  10. Zidane's actions are completely human. Given all the pressure that was put on him as captain of the team, as well as different cultural boundaries, one cannot really predict what they will do if he or she were in the same situation. In Zidane's culture, cussing at ones mom and or sister is the biggest possible insult.
  11. Trash talking is nothing new, he can't act like this is the first time something bad was said to him. he has a history of bad acts, no excuses, be a man & own up to your actions Z.
  12. Trash talking, head butting, one thing leads to another... I am a big fan of Zidane and I can say that I was disappointed. At first, I was convinced that he had to have been terribly provoked, but it doesn't erase what he did, nor does it excuse it. It would be nice if we could see more sportsmanship like conduct by professional athletes. Trash-talk and physical assaults should not take place on any field.
  13. AMEN!!! :noggin: I mean, if this were the first or second or third time, OK. But good grief, this guy has a REPUTATION for being hot-headed, temperamental, and a bad sport. So nope, I don't feel sorry for him AT ALL. :push:
  14. ^^ In the world of international football, that record isn't particularly bad. I wouldn't call it a bad reputation, especially considering how long he's played the game.

What's a bad reputation? Wayne Rooney. Crotch-stamping is much worse than head-butting.
  15. I love zizou