Learning to take it slow...

I am trying to think more "French" in this respect (LOL...just finished reading Entre Nous)...a few fabulous bags is really fabulous (and I love my current bags)...acquire over a lifetime as opposed to over a month, year, etc.

LOL!!! I'm on my second reading of "Entre Nous" and I have to say, parts of it really changed my way of thinking. Less is more. Better is best. And it's really true. Far better to have less but higher quality than lots of stuff that falls apart. Honestly, I am having a ball with my bags and accessories and learning to s-l-o-w down....it's not easy but like SoCal, I have a lot yet to look forward to....NYC and Paris!

One thing I've been doing now is weeding through my collection and making sure that what I have is truly "me". And we learn through our purchases what works for us and what doesn't. If something is not working for you, whether it be size, color, leather, style, ANYTHING.....it's best to let it go to someone it WILL work for. No sense holding onto something just because you have it, KWIM? At least that's what's been going on for me lately....:shame:

Great thread SoCal--this has been on my mind for awhile. While I'm also glad that I'm off the "it" bag bandwagon and only have a few remnants I need to part with, it seems as if my "need for speed" has crossed over into Hermes. I really need to slow down and enjoy what I have and think carefully about what I want to add from a long-term perspective instead of looking to "complete" the collection at a rapid pace.

Can I just say that TPF actually accelerated my H-buying by ten-fold this past year? NOT good! :P I was better off living in ignorance and having to wait until I visited the major cities (since there's no H store where I live) to see what the store had. Now I just see it here, call and order. :amuse:

Today I took stock of all of my H bags, and basically my reaction was :wtf: : I really don't need any more bags. Of course I want more, but I really could just stop right now and be able to bequeath to my heirs a great little collection. So I shouldn't really crave any new bags. (And yet...)

Hopefully, reviewing what I have from time to time will stem the desire to acquire MORE.

BTW, shopmom and SoCal, if you liked Entre Nous, you should read Mireille Guiliano's books. They're an insider's guide into the world of Frenchwoman-ness, since they're written by a quintessential French woman describing the 'rules' of her world (as opposed to a non-French person looking in). Plus, they're very amusing. :smile:

In wonder if this is the new "season" of thinking. AF: we are out of the trendy gotta get the next IT (if only for a month) BAG. Hermes brings you back to classics, simplicity and good taste. It has changed my way of thinking and dressing. I am appreciating my basic way of dressing instead of having to have the latest. Downsizing - this year. Cleaning the closet. Focusing on what works for me. My age (44), my life style (a bit of everything-maybe that's my problem) and body type (like a teenage boy).

Anyway what was I talking about??? Rambling. Oh yes slowing it down. I wonder if that is a So Cal thing that us So Cal people wrestle with.

LOL - well, I am forced to take things slow, and consider carefully most of my H purchases, due to budget constraints (I'm not complaining, I have done very well for myself, and am quite content!).....I wish I could apply it to scarves, though........

Orchids the "need for speed" is what it feels like lol!! I also agree...the PF has become my total addiction and having made some wonderful cyber friends...I do admit it has made a huge hole in my bank account...and some of the trouble is...you can happily add another bangle or scarf without breaking the bank too much on any given day you need a 'lift'...only I have too many days like that lol!! Okay...breathe......slowly....I have also read the above French books (and others) and need to pull them out again! I also agree that somedays I do feel I should be happy with ONE H bag...

haha I'm with Grand Fonds, I can only buy one really nice Hermes bag a year (plus accessories), so I *have* to take it slowly. I wish I could buy some scarves right now too :crybaby:

My problem is that once it becomes easy to get a hold of something, I no longer really like it. I collected EGL clothing for years because it was incredibly hard to get a hold of at first; but once I'd built connections to people in Japan who could buy me whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, I was like...well, crap, this is too easy, lol! It took all of the fun out of it :P

One small part of my love for Hermes is that it *isn't* easy to buy for me, and it won't be probably for quite a while, since I'm still in college. That makes it ever more special when I finally get something that I've wanted :smile:

Actually, if we were being really French about it, we'd only have the ONE Hermes bag in our closet!

This resonates so strongly with me. Reading it makes me feel like I'm not being stingy or cheap as I agonize over which is the perfect H bag for me, since whatever I get will not have many H bag friends on my bag shelf. I'm now going to think about the fact that I'll have at least this ONE thing in common with all the impossibly elegant women I admire in Paris. (if you only knew me, you'd know why I'm giggling as I typed that last sentence)

it's very difficult not to anticipate the next bag without a lot of excitement but as my mom wisely pointed out once i get the next bag it will be "what am i going to get next?" i should learn to slow down and enjoy my one H bag for now and really think about what i should be getting next.

...it seems as if my "need for speed" has crossed over into Hermes. I really need to slow down and enjoy what I have and think carefully about what I want to add from a long-term perspective...

I love the way you stated exactly what I was thinking... :yes: To be honest, I would be in quite a bit of trouble (relationship-wise, financially, etc.) if my old Balenciaga/Chanel/Etc. habits were repeated in H-Land... I am satisified with my Hermes bags in a way I never was with other brands... At the same time, it is quite a change (and sometimes a challenge) to think about a "collection" (long-term) rather than a "rotation" (short attention span with short-term use followed by recycle to ebay and next bag)...and to thoughtfully plan the next purchase (and wait, wait, wait for delivery)...and practice delay of gratification from time to time...

I seem to be 'cured'!
I had the same addiction with other brands such as LV,Balenciaga etc...monthly purchase/resell...
Since 2 years i am going with my Hbags..(right now i have 7) and now i dont feel anymore the NEED to buy a new bag...yes,of course, sooner or later i would like to get a 32 retourne black box kelly with GHW, but i really feel 'satisfied' right now.
DH was not happy for my H addiction at the beginning but yesterday he came home with a beautiful Globetrotter GM agenda because he thinks since 'long time' i didnt purchase anything!!!!

Attachments

• Agenda.jpg
    Agenda.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 110