Lasik - DID IT!!!

1. I finally worked up enough courage to do Lasik on both my eyes. Will be pleased to share my experience with anyone who has questions or is thinking about it. Can't quite get over the fact that I can see without contacts or glasses after 20 years. :yahoo:
  2. I'd like to hear about it!!! I think I'll get it done after I graduate and settled into a job. :smile:
  3. Its not a very long process, takes about 15 minutes for both eyes. I will admit it was not the most pleasant experience as I was fully conscious during the procedure but at least it was over rather fast. The procedure is as follows:

1. You lie flat on the surgical bed whilst the laser machine is placed above your eyes.The doctor then applies this cold fluid to the eye lids which I believe is a disinfectant. A final round of anathestic eye drops is applied to numb the eye.
    2. The doctor then prises your eyelids open with this contraption (not sure what it is called) and then slowly increases the pressure to open your eyelid wider. There is some discomfort and the that is subject to how big your eyes are. The bigger, the less discomfort!
    3. The suction ring is then applied to the eyeball and a flap is cut. (This to me was the most unpleasant part of the op). For a moment, you will lose your vision which is gained back very soon.
    4. You will be asked to look up towards the machine and then stare at the the red and green lights.
    5. Suddenly, you can hear some noise of the machine moving and before you know, you will see and smell smoke - the laser is actually zapping the cornea but all you see are these red and green lights. Surprisingly, I wasn't grossed out as it was over rather fast.
    6. After a few rounds of that (the more you listen to the doctor's instructions, the faster the procedure is over!!!), the doctor then closes the flap, smoothens it out,then washes it and dries the area. Then the procedure is repeated for the other eye.
    7. ITS OVER. Go home and rest immediately. Keep the lids closed, because that reduces the discomfort. My advice is to do the op later in the day rather than in the morning because you really don't want to be awake for too long after the op. The more you sleep, the faster the recovery.
    8. Went home for a nap, slept for 2 hours, woke up and I could see about 70%. Eyes were still puffy and teary. Try and keep the lids closed to reduce discomfort!
    9. Slept super early and by the next morning, there was no more discomfort and I COULD SEE about 100%. In fact, I drove myself to the clinic for the post-op checkup.

Yes, its not that complicated and its over very quickly but it was certainly not pleasant as you can kinda of see what is going on. My advice is to seek a doctor who has done this procedure countless times. The more experience, the better as the op will be over faster.

In addition, you must like his bedside manner as I have to say my doctor's calm voice during the op did help to make the procedure feel less stressful and it was easy to follow his instructions. I think its a good idea to get more than 1 medical opinion and its important that you feel comfortable with the doctor. I have no regrets yet!!!:yahoo:Am so glad its over!
  4. wow thanks for your wonderful post~!!
    it was so descriptive and helpful. i've always wanted to get lasik surgery but was too scared and i think i'm still too young to get it (i'm 19)
  5. Congratulations!!! Isn't it great. It was my 30th bday present to myself. The doctor said I had eyes of an 80 year old. It has been great.

Congrats again!!!!!
  6. Ahh I get all squirmy just reading that! :wacko: I really want to get lasik and I was talking to my coworkers about it since a couple of them had it done. They told me the same thing and it made me so squirmy and grossed out! I am a wimp when it comes to going to the doctors/dentist. I'm getting so sick of always having to put my contacts in to see though.

Congrats on being brave enough to get your lasik done! :tup:
  7. Thanks very much for your information. I am just starting to look into doing this. I have worn glasses since I was 8 years old and contact lenses since 15 (I'm now 31). So I think it's about time I got the courage as you did and go for it! Thanks for sharing!
  8. Congratulations, Bagfreak! I had mines done last summer and you described the procedure very well. I am so paranoid about something cutting my eye that it took me a year to get enough courage to go through the procedure. You are correct about have a doc who's done the procedure many time and has a calm voice. It's been 30 years for me since I began having vision problems, so lasik was a miracle for me to be free from glasses or contacts! Enjoy waking up to clear vision!:yahoo:
  9. congrats - glad it all went well. Ive been wanting to do this for ages. Hopefully i will get around to it eventually.
  10. congrats! It's one of the best things I've ever did!
  11. Congrats!!! I did it about three years money I ever spent! there's nothing like waking up in the AM and being able to see clearly!
  12. Congratulations!!!!

I had mine done about 5 years ago. My eyes were worse than 20/400.....I was wearing gas permeable contacts, and needed reading glasses with them. I still had problems reading street signs.

The most amazing thing to me was laying down on the bed, and not being able to read the clock on the wall. Then, after they were done, sitting up on the bed and being able to read the time. Amazing!

I still have to wear reading glasses, but my distance sight has never been this good.
    My eyes were bad enough that I had "custom lasik" done - specifically for my eyes. It was expensive, but so worth it!
  13. Congrats! And thanks for posting! :smile:

I'd love to get this done, but wonder if my eyesight is too bad. For those who've had it done, can I ask what your eyesight was before the procedure?
  14. Mine was worse than 20/400 - extremely near sighted with astigmatism.
  15. I got mine done about 4 years ago! Dry eyes can be a problem with this. I have to use drops at least once a day or I get headaches, but the trade off is worth it!
    One of my eyes needs to be redone. This is very common, so if you get it done, make sure they guarantee it for at least 5 years! My guarantee was for 3 years so now I have to pay (50%) again!
    It was kinda scary, but no pain. Just really dry eyes afterward. of my eyes was so bad my doctor said I was almost legally blind! I had worn contacts for years and then couldn't anymore and didn't want to go back to glasses. Your eye doc should be able to tell you if you are a candidate.