Workplace Laid off :(.... Louis Vuitton?

You are absolutely right in your feeling that you shouldn't be buying luxury items like LV bags but instead saving. You should have enough in savings to pay for your living expenses (rent, mortgage, car payments, food, etc) for a minimum of six months. Once you have build up a nest egg THEN spend money on bags.
I am truly sorry that you have to experience losing your job and going through this it I hope that this may encourage you to reevaluate your financial habits.
Best of luck!

You are absolutely right in your feeling that you shouldn't be buying luxury items like LV bags but instead saving. You should have enough in savings to pay for your living expenses (rent, mortgage, car payments, food, etc) for a minimum of six months. Once you have build up a nest egg THEN spend money on bags.
I am truly sorry that you have to experience losing your job and going through this it I hope that this may encourage you to reevaluate your financial habits.
Best of luck!

Lol I think you ununderstood wrong, that's the good thing I do have plenty in my checking and savings account, it just sucks being laid off, and makes me think more of saving my money More in the future then spending it on any bags period. , and saving even more than what I save already, because it would be different if I had a family or a mortgage fortunately i have at lease 30k to fall back on and live at home still, like I said I was very close to making an offer on a condo! Thank god I didn't . Still does not make getting laid off okay lol or loosing that income every month!

You should definitely collect unemployment. You have no clue how long you'll be out of work and with a car note you don't want to to rely on your savings.

I don't think you should sell your LV since you seem to have enough to cover your expenses. Being unemployed is very depressing and your LV is something you acquired while you were doing well and it made you feel good.

My friend got laid off in July and still hasn't found a job. Her LV puts a smile on her face and to me, that's priceless. If you have bags you don't use definitely sell them, but don't sell just because you're unemployed. If you don't have kids or other people to be responsible for I personally think it's ok to keep your LV.

Thanks for your kind words. I sympathize with what you're going through but just remember it can't rain forever and you are more than your job :smile:
I still wear my LV proudly and so should you.

Thank you! ... Oh yeah totally understandable since you know the way you dress or ur sexuality is totally going to affect your skills as a hair stylist clearly,...NOT ... Ugh I hate close minded people!!! I am so sorry that happened to you, you'd think it's 2012 hello people ... Funny how ppl r so concerned with what others do in their personal life!! Well you don't need ppl like that anyways! I really hope and know you will build up a new clientele!! ...I agree life is beautiful and at least we are all alive to live anther day!! Thank you for your kind words!

I understand your feelings....I worked in the travel industry for several years and then lost my job in a series of layoffs after 9/11. The same month I was laid off, my husband filed for divorce and left me and the dog with $100.00 in the checking account and took off. I moved back in with my parents long enough to get back on my feet and find another job. No, my current job does not pay anywhere near what my other one did, but I survived and came out the other side confident in my ability to conquer whatever life throws at me. You will get through this.....good luck in your job search.

You should definitely collect unemployment. You have no clue how long you'll be out of work and with a car note you don't want to to rely on your savings.

I don't think you should sell your LV since you seem to have enough to cover your expenses. Being unemployed is very depressing and your LV is something you acquired while you were doing well and it made you feel good.

My friend got laid off in July and still hasn't found a job. Her LV puts a smile on her face and to me, that's priceless. If you have bags you don't use definitely sell them, but don't sell just because you're unemployed. If you don't have kids or other people to be responsible for I personally think it's ok to keep your LV.

Such a good way to look at it! My LVs do make me happy and I did get them when I had enough to spend on things like that so your right! Well put thanks!! I just want to find a job ASAP!! Thanks!!

Hello,

I wish you all the best and hope you can find something soon. I'm sure you will since you have good experience. =)
I know it's tough and you definitely don't want to sell your LV goods.

But I know a friend that lost $40k --all in one month (bad stock investment). They were saving up for a car and it was some of their back of emergency savings. At the end, she ended up selling her LV and balenciaga bags.
Not ALL of her LV, but the ones she didn't wear much. Afterwards, she felt much better because now, she had to be reasonable and start saving again and paying bills.
So... after selling her used bags and other items made her feel really good.
It was like purging and getting down to simpler things. She realized what she did have, even though she lost $40k.
She started enjoying the LV bags that she didn't sell. She only kept her speedy (classic bag) and 1 more other LV. I forget which one it was but it was like another classic style bag but more modern.
She ended up selling the rest of her collection.
Essentially, her collection was paired down to the neccessities and got rid of what she rarely wore.

So, I say for your situation, you may want to sell the ones you don't use and save money for Just in case situations.

You may appreciate the bags that you ended up keeping and appreciate them even more!
It's like the ones that stood with you through the hard times.

And do file for unemployment. This is the times that you will need it. You don't need to tell your friends. It's something that you should do irregardless of how others feel. It will help you during this time of need.

Good luck again. I know things will get better because it will =)

Life and finances are always up and down. I find that things are cyclical and I'm your age.

That's the nature of life, which doesn't mean that we should never have fun or treat ourselves.

OP sorry to hear about your situation. Do file for UE as it is your right as a USA citizen, as this program was created for folks in your case. Most importantly, stay STRONG. You are young, well educated, have drive (on your way to acquiring your CPA - I encourage you to focus on this goal as you have the extra time to allot to studying and taking the necessary parts to complete), you have the benefit of living at home and get your resume out there. Work your connections and stay focused on your goals. This is a set back, not a permanent lifestyle or status. After the shock wears off, keep focused, sharp and forge ahead! You can do it!! Best of luck and prayers for you.

I filed for unemployment, today has officially been one week i am GOING CRAZY I don't know how anyone could ever want to take advantage of unemployment. I thought it was going to be great sleeping getting a little break WRONG... I am sooooo bored. I am thinking of contacting some local non profit organizations and seeing if they need any board members just so I can feel like I am still doing something related to my work, and give them some financial advise or something.

I met with my recruiter today she is great she has so many prospects! I have a phone interview with a really good financial company on Thursday, hopefully that phone interview leads to a face to face interview! She also submitted my resume to a large hospital that is hiring accountants, they are making their resume selections this week and I should hear by Friday if my resume was selected. I also decided to work with another recruiter, to keep my options open, I am meeting with him tomorrow morning! At least it gets me out of the house. So i am looking for jobs but omg i am so bored!!

I have been thinking of posting a few ads on Craiglist-- to see if anyone local needs any tax return prep --- But I am having second thoughts on it, because I have not yet received an unemployment check and don't want it to count as a partime job and lose those benefits!

Just thought I'd give everyone an update also any ideas on what i can do to entertain myself.

I made sure all the food stocked in my house is strictly vegetables. This way I wont gain 100 lbs from sitting on my butt all day and eating out of boredom, surprisingly, I am eating less than when i was stressed out at work lol!

OP sorry to hear about your situation. Do file for UE as it is your right as a USA citizen, as this program was created for folks in your case. Most importantly, stay STRONG. You are young, well educated, have drive (on your way to acquiring your CPA - I encourage you to focus on this goal as you have the extra time to allot to studying and taking the necessary parts to complete), you have the benefit of living at home and get your resume out there. Work your connections and stay focused on your goals. This is a set back, not a permanent lifestyle or status. After the shock wears off, keep focused, sharp and forge ahead! You can do it!! Best of luck and prayers for you.

So sweet! Thank you :heart:

Good for you for getting out there and applying for jobs so soon. Alot of people lose motivation after getting laid off so it's great that you're already so active in finding a new job. You definitely sound like you have a great work ethic and i have no doubt that you'll find something soon. Just be thankful that this happened when you were only 25, that way if it happens again(god forbid) you'll know what to expect and be more prepared. Good Luck! Please update us with news regarding the job hunting:smile:

Good for you for getting out there and applying for jobs so soon. Alot of people lose motivation after getting laid off so it's great that you're already so active in finding a new job. You definitely sound like you have a great work ethic and i have no doubt that you'll find something soon. Just be thankful that this happened when you were only 25, that way if it happens again(god forbid) you'll know what to expect and be more prepared. Good Luck! Please update us with news regarding the job hunting:smile:

Thanks!! Oh Please lol I updated my resume as soon as I got home after getting let go lol and started sending out my resume that night lol I was freaking out haha ... THanks though!! And i 100% agree, at least it happened when I am still young and without a family! It also changed my perspectives on blowing my money on luxuries instead of saving .... I will def keep everyone updated!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!