Ladybug Infestation

1. We are experiencing a huge infestation of ladybugs all over our house. These are NOT the cute ones you see in the garden in the spring. These are gross and clump together.:yucky:

I vacuum up the ones I can reach all the time, but does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of the ones on the ceilings? We have a really higher foyer ceiling and I don't have a ladder tall enough.

Is there something I can spray up there that will kill them and make them fall to the ground?
  2. Take your vacuum and aim it at the ceiling as high as you can-here in middle of SC we also have same thing, strange-but if you vacuum you'll get them all, just get rid of the bag right after (also works for flies!) and you don't have to use sprays!
  3. Try one of those Raid foggers and leave the house for a couple of hours. It might help.
  4. Our old house had them every year at this time. They are repulsive, and you will find their dead carcases all over the house. They flock to heat and light. Just vaccuum them up, that's all you can do.
  5. I agree the only way is to suck those little suckers up. :smile: Hopefully for you, what happened to me didn't happen to you. When my parents used to get them, they would fall into the halogen lamps and then just burn would smell so fowl! :push: So prevent them and vacuum away!
  6. Yep, the vacuum is the trick! Been there, done that!
  7. Oh, my I never heard of such a thing...but must admit here in CA we don't get alot of bugs.
  8. wow, so sorry to hear bout your problem. have you had a chat with an exterminator?
  9. I'd attempt to move tham. They actually sell them at my favorite nursery because they're SO good for your garden/landscape.
  10. I don't think these are the ones that are good for your gardens... we have them in IL too and they invade around this time of year. I think they're an asian version that is invasive and not the typical ladybug that everyone is used to seeing. It gets pretty gross with how many you find, especially when you start finding little piles and clumps of their bodies, but I have to agree with everyone else that the vaccuum... sorry you have to deal with them. They also are the species that bites!
  11. Yes they are asian lady beetles that have been imported into the country. Like others have said above you should remove them with a vacuum CAREFULLY and try not to alarm them. Then release them outside and if you know where they are coming in from, then you should find a way to close that area inorder to prevent them from coming back in. An inseticide probably won't be of much help, plus why kill them it's not their fault they are here. The reason they are invading is because they are looking for a place to hibernate during the winter IF they were in Asia WHERE THEY BELONG they would not be doing this. They are not invasive by nature and although they do bite they are usually not harmful.
  12. The multicolored Asian lady beetle made its way into the United States through a number of accidental and planned releases. There are several reports that this species was accidentally brought on ships to various ports, notably New Orleans and Seattle. This lady beetle was also intentionally imported from Russia, Japan, Korea, and elsewhere in the Orient and released in the United States as part of a Federal effort to naturally control insect pests in trees. The rationale was that native species of lady beetles are not particularly effective in controlling tree-feeding aphids and scale insects. The Federal releases were made in California as early as 1916 and again in the mid-1960s, but the multicolored Asian lady beetle apparently failed to establish.
    During the late 1970s through the early 1980s, tens of thousands of multicolored Asian lady beetles were intentionally released by the U. S. Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) in an effort to control insect pests that injure trees. The USDA-ARS coordinated the lady beetle releases in many southern and eastern states, including Ohio, Maine, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana. In Ohio, a total of approximately 1,800 lady beetles was released in Cuyahoga and Lake Counties during June 1979 and July 1980. During this period, the largest USDA-ARS releases (more than 11,000 lady beetles) were made in Georgia. In addition, more than 14,000 lady beetles were released in the western United States near Yakima, Washington. Small releases were also made in the District of Columbia and in Nova Scotia, Canada. The USDA-ARS release program was eventually discontinued because failed recapture efforts suggested that the multicolored Asian lady beetle was not surviving in the United States.
    Hence, there is some controversy regarding the origins of this nonnative species. Nonetheless, the multicolored Asian lady beetle is now well established in the United States, where it currently thrives in many parts of the Midwest, East, South, and Northwest. This nonnative species appears to be displacing some of our native lady beetles in Ohio.
    Why do we have such large numbers - sometimes epidemic numbers of Asian beetles? You can thank science and the US government.
    The multicolored Asian lady beetle was first recorded as a pest in houses in 1988 in Abita Springs, Louisiana. It had been first released in the early 1900s as a biological control agent; and numerous subsequent releases have been made throughout the United States. Because the beetle was not recovered after this release, it was assumed that it had not established and was incompatible with North American conditions. The source of the 1988 infestation in Abita Springs, LA is unknown; but it is not thought to be linked to the controlled releases.
    The original infestation site was close to ports used for international shipping including cargo containers from Asia. Since this inadvertent release, the beetle has rapidly expanded its range and is now commonly found throughout much of the U.S. Large congregations tend to be found on windows, doors, and porch decks, and in the walls of buildings.

More Info:
    Harmonia axyridis
    Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle, HSE-1030-01
    Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures
    issg Database: Ecology of Harmonia axyridis
  13. dizzul,

Thanks for all the information.... you sure know your stuff! And, yes, just as your information reports, they congretate primarily around windows and doors. They drive me crazy! They get in my beautiful, custom-made, totally expensive silk drapes and I am continually vacuuming them off.

But the worst, most disgusting problem occurs where they colonize in high places I can't reach even with a long vacuum hose-- two storied ceilings, etc.
  14. since they're up in the ceiling, maybe a pest control company should be called?
  15. Yeah I think it's best if you called a pest control company tbh..
    much easier for you :/
    wishing you the best.