Ladies with smaller diamond rings... are you planning to upgrade?

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
DH and I have been married for 15 years and I was thinking it might be a good time to get a ring with a bigger diamond. I love my current ring, but I would love something bigger. We were broke when we got married (we had just graduated and then moved across the country) and couldn't afford to spend very much on my ring. My current ring is about 1 carat total weight; the center stone is about 1/3 carat and 6 smaller diamonds surround it. I will probably have the diamonds placed in another setting so that I can wear them in a ring on my right hand. I would like my new ring to have a center stone of at least 1 to 1.5 carats. I briefly mentioned this idea to DH a few months ago and surprisingly he did not say no! I may broach the subject again closer to our anniversary.

Is anyone else planning to upgrade their ring, or have you already upgraded? If so, are you happy with your new ring or do you wish you had kept your original ring?

I did around my 5th because my original was stolen, but I don't plan to again til a bigger anniversary. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have any sentiment attached to any of my jewelry.

I'm not married so I can't really comment, but I suggest keeping your current ring and getting an upgrade ring. I'm sure it has sentimental value. A 1/3 ct diamond isn't going to contribute significantly towards a 1.5+ct diamond and you're keeping the other stones anyway. That way you won't have to worry about wishing you had kept your original ring.

I've upgraded twice since the original, and never looked back. Like Ame, I don't have sentimental attachments to my jewelry, so I traded my old engagement rings in toward my new ones. I don't remember the carat weight of my original ring, but went from that to a 1.5 carat solitaire, and from the 1.5 to a 3.5 solitaire with 2 carats of little diamonds around it (on the engagement ring band and the matching wedding band). I don't regret upgrading at all.

I'm in the middle of an upgrade. I am so excited for my new ring that i have even stopped wearing the old one. And i still have a few Months to go! My situation is a little different though. The engagement ring my hubby gave me wasn't meant to be long term. It is still a nice ring, but it wasn't really what i saw myself with long term. I wanted a sapphire or something different. We couldn't find anything so he gave me the placer ring. Of course i just got used to it and stopped searching for the perfect ring. We finally found the perfect ring years later. It is a quarter carat smaller but it is my perfect diamond. I can't wait to get it!
I think upgrades are wonderful, but i also think everyone has different views of what is just right for them. Some prefer the sentiment of their original and some prefer a diamond that grows as the relationship grows. I think you should get something that signifies where you are now and how much you've grown! That can still be sentimental.

<<<< emotional sap!

I don't think I'd ever upgrade because it wouldn't be the one he proposed with. All the hours of research and shopping and stress are all memories attached to it. I feel bad even thinking about resetting the stone!

I think this is also cultural. In my family you do not dare mess with your engagement ring at all. Not one person has upgraded from the original.

But if anyone else wants to upgrade I wouldn't see anything wrong with it! DF does get irked a little when he hears girls wanting to upgrade the ring before even getting married though (we know several girls who did this). But in general its a personal choice and you gotta do what's right for you and your relationship! Or compromise and keep the original and just get a new one all together! Hehe

We've been married 5 yrs now. My centre stone is .75 and my whole set is just over 1ct

I don't think I could upgrade for a couple reasons

We have other financial goals

I'm rather atta he'd to my rngs sentimentally and i do like them. Of course. If dh wanted to get me larger studs orvsomething he can totally do that lol

Honestly, I just had this dilemma today. I have the opportunity to upgrade my diamond and I have chosen not to. Due to a misfortune, I had to have a new wedding set and I did have my previous diamond put in the center. I really weighed getting a bigger diamond but I have decided to upgrade my 1/3 carat diamond studs instead (I think):biggrin: My diamond would need to be substantially upgraded to even display a difference in my case. Mine is .60 and looks pretty good in the setting. I will tell you though that I do keep thinking about it ...It is a toughy that it for sure! I would need 1.0 or bigger to make an impact.

well now is the time to do it. MOST Americans are soon going to be completely priced out of the diamond market. Prices are skyrocketing on stones of all sizes and it's alarming.

well now is the time to do it. MOST Americans are soon going to be completely priced out of the diamond market. Prices are skyrocketing on stones of all sizes and it's alarming.

Wow. Really? I thought it was just the more substantial stones? And at the very least stones over 1 carat but still those aren't even close to stones of 1.5 carats (so i thought)? I'm surprised it's going in this direction considering diamonds are "the" American engagement stone. But i guess i can see it. There are only so many stones per mine and it takes so long for a mine to come on line and then there isn't even a guarantee anything will be found.

Wow. Really? I thought it was just the more substantial stones? And at the very least stones over 1 carat but still those aren't even close to stones of 1.5 carats (so i thought)? I'm surprised it's going in this direction considering diamonds are "the" American engagement stone. But i guess i can see it. There are only so many stones per mine and it takes so long for a mine to come on line and then there isn't even a guarantee anything will be found.
Oh yea, prices seriously are jumping by large percentages fast. The asian markets are really driving the pricing increases of late, not americans, and they are buying stones and fast, supply of higher quality, and larger, stones will deplete faster than can be replaced.

I didn't know that! Maybe I should keep my larger diamond and not trade it in for a Rolex!
I would DEFINITELY not trade your stone for a Rolex. Unless you really see no reason to keep the stone.

I could never upgrade my ring. I'm emotionally attached to it as it's the one he proposed with and just has so many happy moments attached to it. I could never change my wedding band either.