LA Times reports controversial museum exhibit to sell LV bags

1. LA Times article is here:,1,2396008.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

I read about itvia a newsletter, Philanthropy Today, from The Chronicle of Philanthropy:

L.A. Museum Will Sell Luxury Handbags as Part of Exhibit

The Museum of Contemporary Art, in Los Angeles, will open a Louis Vuitton boutique as part of an art exhibit, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Takashi Murakami, a Japanese artist who will be featured in a retrospective exhibit, has long had a professional relationship with Louis Vuitton. The high-end store will sell handbags and leather products — decorated with Mr. Murakami’s designs — priced between $875 and $920 at a shop set up within the exhibit space. The planned exhibit has raised some eyebrows, though the nonprofit museum will receive no proceeds from the handbags’ sale and no rental fees for the shop space.

“People have touched base with the play between the commercial arena and high art, but this is a little more confrontational,” says Paul Schimmel, the museum’s chief curator, who planned the exhibit.

“They are going to have to work very hard to get the curatorial concept across to the visitor so they do not perceive a conflict of interest,” says Gail Andrews, director of the Birmingham Museum of Art, in Alabama, and president of the Association of Art Museum Directors.
  2. Those agendas are so cute! I wish I lived near the museum :crybaby:
  3. I think I have developed a sudden interest in museum-going :p