LA Times Guide To Buying Handbags

"However, it is just as ridiculous to pay > $1000 for a nylon bag just because it has a Prada brand
Isn't that in itself another form of snob factor that he is preaching against..."

I agree with bagscrazy's statement above. After thinking about this article more, I'll go out on a limb and say that though I have come to have a greater appreciation of -- and affection for -- purses (and the people here) after frequenting this board, I am reminded of how different the "purse economy" is when I read an article that discusses ordinary women spending $4,000 on bags, and how spending $1,200 on a nylon bag is considered the sensible, economical alternative.

Obviously, demand/supply is at work here--and people are willing to pay the high prices. There is a part of me, however, that wonders if there isn't kind of a bubble here or "tulip mania." Per Wikipedia: In 1623, a single bulb of a famous tulip variety could cost as much as a thousand Dutch florins (the average yearly income at the time was 150 florins).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

It is interesting to me that apparently there are enough people willing to pay $895 for a clear plastic bag that the company actually produced them. Impossible not to think of the last days of Rome...

My number one rule (well, after the basic requirements of fabulousness quotient, Xtreme Cage Match cheapness and reasonably good construction) for buying bags is the same as for anything else:

How will it fit in with current wardrobe residents?

How likely will I be to find myself trying to build outfits around it, trying to figure out what I can carry it with, as opposed to having it be a fabulous accessory/accompaniment to many outfits?

I love Tim and am reading his book now. However, I have to say that I think "IT" bags aren't always the current celebrity fave, especially when one is a member here! I believe that I've had desire issues with several bags that I decided were "IT" bags for me when I saw them shown here on the forum. :yes:

They would definitely make me breathless so I think he's right on the money about the breathless purse forum. :P

I think the meaning behind the article is good, but sorry, I don't consider the Birkin or the Speedy "it" bags... I think those are classic pieces that have been around for DECADES.

Assuming it doesn't get stolen (I think the examples he gave are very rare), those bags have an amazing fashion lifespan. Buy what you like, and not what others like.