Korean Short Ribs

1. I'm having a BBQ for my son on Sunday, I plan on marinating about 30 lbs of shortribs, does anyone have a good recipe for the marinade? I've heard different stories about using 7 up or pineapple or kiwi as tenderizer! If you don't want your secret recipe out in the open,:p please PM me!

2. Emi - I use one of these two recipes, so I will put them in two different posts. First one is by Hi Soo Shin. She wrote "Growing up in a Korean Kitchen"

For 3 lbs of short ribs

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 Korean pear, peeled or frated or 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup chong ju
    5 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
    3 large sweet green onions minced (white and pale green part only)
    1/2 cup corn syrup or 3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
    4 walnut halves, finely chopped
    Pinch of salt
    1 tablespoon of freshly ground pepper

1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped, for garnish
    1 tablespoon sil koch'u or hot pepper flakes

In a large pan, soak the ribs in ice cold water for 1 hour. Drain and pat dry. Using a sharp knife, make criss cross slashes across each strip toward the bone, but without cutting through. In a wide shallow baking pan, place the ribs in one layer, slashed side up. In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and mix well. Spoon the marinade over the ribs and, with your fingers, massage the marinade into the ribs. Wrap the pan tightly with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or as long as overnight.

To grill ribs, start the coals 30 minutes before cooking or preheat gas grill. Lightly brush the rack with vegetable oil and set it 4 inches from heat source. Add the ribs, in batches or all at once, and grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until caramel brown and crusty and to the desired doneness. Repeat if necessary with the remaining ribs.

To broil the ribs, preheat the broiler. Lightly brush the broiler pan with the vegetable oil and set it 6 inches from the heat source. Add the ribs, in batches or al at once and broil for 5 to 6 minutes; turn and broil the second side for 2 minutes, or to the desired doneness. Repeat as necessary.

Garnish with the pine nuts and the sil koch'u. Serve the ribs immediately.
  3. This one I think is more authentic. I don't remember pine nuts ever being in my kalbi. This one is by Cecelia Hae-Jin Lee in her "Eating Korean" book.

5 pounds beef short ribs
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 garlic bulb, minced
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Korean malt syrup (mool yut)
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    1 teaspoon black pepper

1. Wash the meat thoroughly in cold water and tenderize with the blunt edge of a knife or clean hammer. Or soak in basin of cold water for an hour. Drain and blot dry with paper towels.

2. Combine the onion, garlic soy sauce, sugar, malt syrup, sesame oil and black pepper in a medium bowl. Marinate the meat by layering, pouring the soy mixture between layers. Or mix the meat with the soy mixture in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for atleast 3 hours, but preferably overnight.

3. Cook over hot grill until well done. (Cooking time will vary depedning on the intensity of the fire).

I personally like this one better because it's simpler. I don't use pineapple or the more exotic ingredients because it's just not a part of traditional korean cooking. I'm sure those recipes are good too though. I can only imagine how well pineapple or kiwi would tenderize the beef.

Good luck!!
  4. Yum, I dont have a recipe but my mom uses kiwi as tenderizer. She just peeled and squished them in my hand. She she didn't have kiwis on hand she used 7-up.
  5. Ok, I'm sorry I wasn't any help! :shame:
  6. BalenciaLove Thank you soooo much!!! I'm going to try the 2nd one (easier one!) but what is Korean malt syrup? Can I use Mirin instead?
  7. Omg YUM!! I'm going to bookmark this and try it one day. I LOVEEEE korean bbq short ribs!!
  8. I've used Apple Cider as the sweetener--not as cloying. Oh, yum--I love ribs!
  9. oh yum, Korean short ribs are the best...
  10. Thanks for sharing the recipes, Balenciagalove.
  11. Thanks for the recipes, ladies! never tried Korean short ribs, but now I can try making and have some!
  12. My girlfriend uses pear juice for sweetener and I add chili powder too!
  13. my dad makes me korean shortribs so i can take it back up to school haha. he has my mom grate a pear (maybe 2 depending on serving) and he also uses kiwi. i have no idea how he makes it though, but it tastes good with it :smile:

14. I've been making this for so long that I don't or can't measure the ingredients anymore. Sorry, that I can't provide how much to put in...I think you can estimate though. I use this receipe with beef, chicken and even seafood, except that I don't use the Korean Malt Syrup? I DO use brown sugar, instead of white sugar and I use Cooking Sake or Mirin to tenderize (doesn't add unnessary sugar too!) and lastly I add roasted sesame seeds. Broiling the meat is the best...yummm, making myself hungry!:p BTW, have any of you NOR-CAL girls tried Brother's Restaurant?!...that is the best Korean Restaurant in San Francisco, I've tried other places and this is THE best place!:nuts:
  15. gosh, this thread is making me hungry for kalbi........waahhh