Kidney stones anyone?

1. I was wondering if anyone here has had the misfortune of having kidney stones? I started getting them about 3 summers ago and have gotten them periodically since then and let me tell you, I wanted to die I was in so much pain! Sheesh, that was rough! :s
  2. My poor DH gets them. Since I stopped buying soda though, I notice he hasn't had an incident in awhile. I also bought some vitamins from the health store called "Stone Free". You have to take quite a few per day so he never bothered to take them so I can't tell you how good they work, but maybe it's something you would want to try?
  3. Hmmm I may have to look into those! I've just been "drinking like a fish" (water) as my doctor call it and usually if I just keep up on the water I don't have many problems. Thanks for your suggestion!
  4. did your Doc analyze yours and give you a list of foods to avoid?
    Dh's finally did after he recently passed his 4th one.
    My sweet poor little pregnant nanny just had one as well. SO sad, she's pregnant, had a kidney stone and a bladder infection altogether. I felt terrible for her:sad:
  5. I am known as the kidney stone PRO!EEEK!
    I have passed MORE than 2 DOZEN STONES..been obstructed..had lithotripsy many times....NOT FUN
    I learned mine r calcium.....I get them no matter what my diet is....But I rarely even go to the hospital now ..I became so used to the pain..sad to say.Sometimes the only time I know one is coming out is when I start throwing up cuz I am so used to pain..I dont even feel them anymore(SAD...NO?!LOL!)
    I passed the HUGEST one ever a couple of weeks ago...THAT one I FELT for about 3 days...LMAO..I drink water and seltzer water NONSTOP.This has helped me thru them all...I swear.I get made fun of cuz Im always drinking water....but its worth it
  6. That sounds awful! I hope your nanny gets to feeling better ASAP! Yep, they did analyze and my doc just said that I had high levels of calcium in my body and to limit my calcium intake, which is hard because I love milk and icecream! But since I have cut back on dairy I've noticed I don't get them as much anymore and every once in a while I have a pain on my lower back that slowly moves to the front and then that's it. I had to be hospitalized 3 times for having them starting when I was 17, my dr. thought it was weird because I was so young to be having major problems with kidney stones. It's been about 6 months since the last incident (knock on wood) and I hope I never ever get one again!
  7. I know what you mean! After getting hospitalized a couple of times I've learned the tricks of the trade, so to speak. I hardly go anymore either because I know exactly what they will have me do, drink lots of water and go to the bathroom constantly, so I just stay home and do exactly that. Luckily I haven't had any problems in the past several months so that's been a relief! I wish I could get used to the pain and not feel them anymore. That would be awesome! It sounds like you have them WAY worse than I do; Next time you have one I'll be sending you good thoughts (with my kidney stone intuition ;)) and hope it's fast and painless for you! It's great to talk to people who know about them from experience because no one I know has ever had them or knows anyone who has had them so I haven't really had anyone to talk to. Kidney stoners unite! :graucho:
  8. DH's was mostly calcium too, his list of foods to avoid also had wheat germ, nuts and some other of his favorites.
  9. I heard they are extremely painful. Does the pain come on right away or is it gradual, what are the symptoms?
  10. ^^^Yes, its extremely painful! I was in so much pain that I seriously wanted to die. The first time I ever had one I had a dull pain in my right lower back for about 2 days; the best way to describe it is that the pain comes in waves, with each wave the pain getting more and more excruciating; as the stone works its way down the pain moves from the back (kidney area) to the front (urethra) until you finally pass the stone, or have to have it removed. I started throwing up (a lot) because of the pain and that ended up dehydrating me to the point of hospitalization...yikes. Not fun at all. The only good thing that came from that was the shot of morphine into my IV, I immediately felt so much better! It honestly felt like someone had stabbed me through my kidney area and was twisting the knife around every 5 minutes. One of the workers in the hospital came in and talked to me and said she'd rather have a natural birth again than to have another kidney stone...:shocked:
  11. OMG, I am so sorry to hear that Jill. I have been so fortunate and only had one. I will never forget that gd awful pain. I never caught mine, and wonder if I will ever have another one. I also was vomitting from all the pain. At the time, not knowing what it was, terrified me to no end.
  12. If you have had more than one kidney stone, or if you were very young when you got the first one, you should definitely be evaluated by a urologist (shameless plug). Most kidney stones are calcium, and drinking a lot of water/lemon juice (not soda) can help, but some people have different kinds of stones and may need medications as well. If you have calcium oxalate stones, there is a huge list of foods to limit as well (essentially anything that tastes good). People who have recurrent stones are at increased risk of urinary tract strictures/scars and kidney failure (most stones are pretty small but the big ones can really cause some problems, even without you knowing). My sympathies to all you stone sufferers--I've never had one, and I don't want to.
  13. ^ isnt fun but its almost second nature to me now to have them!
    Mine are calcium..I also have beginning of osteo at age 37 (hysterectomy at 30) although I do watch my foods....there are numerous issues that complicate it!
    its funny..and I SWEAR by this..EVERYTIME I have ever passed a stone I get an INSANELY intense sugar craving prior to it....I can almost tell when one is coming.Once u have over 2 dozen......heehee...u tend to see(and feel!) the signs!
  14. I'm bumping this because I just got over my fourth (and worst) one. It had been over 3 years, so I was hoping I'd never get another. They are the most god-awful painful afflictions ever. I am 5'2" and 92 lbs and I gave birth (natural, no C-section) to an over 8 lb baby with no epidural and I swear I'd rather go through that again then have another kidney stone. This one lasted almost a week and I went to quick care the first day and hoped it would be fine a couple of days later and the pain just never stopped. I was extremely dehydrated no matter how much water I tried to drink and was starting to get extremely exhausted. Finally I caved and went to emergency. The pain was so bad by then that even though I had taken a vicotin 1 hour prior, they had to give me to shots of morphine in my IV drip to stop the pain. :sad: I hope all of you are doing OK with this right now and that none of you get another ever.
  15. Uh, no thank you. Sounds like they aren't fun.