Kerala Bag, made in moldavie?

1. I really need some help. I bought a Chloe Kerala handbag and on the inside there is a tag saying made in moldavie. The thing is, that I bought this bag in a boutique in italy.
    I did call chloe to ask if they do their bags in moldavie and they said no. Does anyone have a chloe kerala bag too? If yes, could someone please check if they have this tag made in moldavie??? I would love some advice.
    Thank you soo much.
  2. Here's how Chloe maybe getting around the answer. Leather from Italy; pattern from Italy; materials possibly from Italy. Labor...Moldavie?

Majority of the developement Italy. So they can say, "The bag is from Italy".

It's becoming global, all designers are doing this to some extent except for Hermes.
  3. I bought a Chloe tote last winter from NM that was made in Romania, I ended up returning it, even though it was a steal, it was just too big and I have to admit I was bothered by the Romania 'thing'. However, I think susieserb has something there---designers are most likely going more global with manufacturing to cut expenses.
  4. Here's another thing EU manufacturers are doing. Hiring illegal aliens *sound familiar* to work in their country to make the products, thus using cheap labor. Lots of people from China/Korea are utilized.

There was an article on the PURSE BLOG addresssing how Designers were trying to cut costs of bags, my first scenerio was addressed in the article as well as my second one.

Taxes in EU have escalade big time as well as cost of leather, petrol etc. So cheap labor is most desired. Hermes still utilizes it's original practice handmade, home grown yada, yada, yada so that high cost is passed down to the consumer.:crybaby:
  5. I'm afraid I'm not sure about the exact location of manufacture of Kerala bags, but from what people have said, I have always assumed it to be a less expensive European country, like Romania; so Moldova seems perfectly feasable, too, IMO.

Having said that, unauthorised boutiques do sometimes sell fakes, so I wouldn't like to say, for definite, either way.

Here's my NAP-bought A/W Kerala Wallet and the photo of it on the NAP site:

The hangtag doesn't say where it is made, whereas every other Chloe item I have had a hangtag for (since 2002) has said 'Made in Italy' or 'Made in Italie' so why they would suddenly stop stating the country of manufacture, if it was still Italy, I don't know? :shrugs:

Also, the carecard for the wallet doesn't say (from memory) 'handmade and carefully done by masters artisans' (as my other ones do) and the wallet seems to be machine stitched, so I think that is a bit of a give-away, too. :yes:

I love the Kerala charms and someone from Romania came onto the forum, last year and said that the factories that made designer goods in their country were very nice and well-run and the workers were paid well (when compared to the average national wage), so I kept the wallet, despite this. But I certainly don't feel quite the same way about it, as I do my Italian handmade ones. :nogood:

Also, according to Aloha Rag, the tweed Paddys from S/S '07 (I think?) were made in Romania and a lot of the S/S '08 bags look machine-made, to me, too (very even zig-zag stitching)... :s​

If I were you, I'd post lots of pics of it on the Authenticate This Chloe thread. :smile:
    Chloe AW '07 Kerala Wallet, ch, small.jpg Chloe AW '07 Kerala Wallet.jpg

6. What about BV?
  7. BV is handmade in Italy as well as Chanel bags but to my knowledge there are just 3 designhouses left who have handmade bags (BV, Hermes and Chanel) and the rest is cheap labour from East Europ and Asia.
    Belen echandia has handmade bags, too but they aren't a big designhouse like Chloe.
  8. Thank you so much all of you for your help. I feel a bit better now.. still.. it is difficult to accept having a designer bag for almost 765.00 euro which is made in moldavie.
    chloehandbags, i love ur purse. I really hope they don't do there bags with a machine.
    I think I would get a heart attach.. :crybaby:

9. I'm pretty sure that Chloe still have (or have had, until very recently) some of their bags handmade in Italy; just not all of them, anymore.

As I think I've said before, there seem, to me, to be at least three current levels of Chloe leather good quality:

1. Smaller, Italian-made leather-lined bags and clutches, such as the Ida Clutch and the Blanche Bag from S/S '06, the Elfi Bag and the Fanny Clutch from A/W '06 and the Inge from A/W '07 (I'm not sure whether the S/S '08 Nancy clutch is handmade, or not, as I haven't seen it IRL, yet).

2. Italian handmade cotton twill-lined bags (such as the Silverado, Paddington, Betty, Gladys, Elvire and Heloise).

3. Romanian/Moldovan(?) machine made cotton twill-lined bags (Kerala, Maya etc.).

10. No problem, zizzli! :flowers:

Thing is, if your bag had been handmade in Italy, it would probably have cost almost twice as much. :yes:

As well as the visual clues, such as stitching, the price is another giveaway.

For example, my Italian made Chloe Wallet:

...which is the same size as my Kerala Wallet, was (from memory) around £275 when I bought it new in A/W 2002 and the later wallets, even though they were often simpler, were more; whereas, my Kerala was only £214 in A/W 2007 (five years later).

So, how could that be, other than if they had them machine made somewhere less expensive? :shrugs:

Oh dear, well, I certainly don't want to give you a heart-attack, zizzli and I'm not saying it's completely machine made; but I'm 99.9% sure that my Kerala Wallet is machine stitched. :yes:
    Chloe AW '02 Brown Wallet with Amber Resin ch.jpg

11. Yes the article mentioned BV but I don't remember Chanel? However don't go by my memory, LOL:p
  12. Girls - why all the negativity about manufacturing in other places besides Italy? We are all humans with the capacity to do extraordinary hand work. Perhaps the Italians have been doing it longer but I know from experience that the manufacturing in China can be incredibly good. It doesn't take a Chinese worker (generally speaking) very long to learn to do first rate work. Talented assembly line workers are everywhere in the world - Mexico, Viet Nam, Moldavia - anywhere. I have been in factories in the most remote parts of the world and the attention to detail is mind boggling. Yes, the Italians are paid much better and have better working conditions and we would like all these workers to have these benefits worldwide but the pricing reflects the added costs. In time any inferior workmanship will be negligible but I guess nobody wants to hear that when they have bought something constructed a little under par.
  13. ^ I think the main problem, rather than a question of nationality (which is only a problem, for most, if people are believed to have been exploited/mistreated), is that the Italian (and formerly, the French) made items were supposed to have been handmade by experienced, highly skilled master artisans (or 'Masters Artisans'! :biggrin: ); not machine made by people who have only just learned how to do it and may have still been at school, or driving a bus, or waiting on tables, or whatever, the week before. :smile:

I agree that, given a few years, assuming they are taught to hand cut, construct and sew leather goods, people from Romania and Moldova (or anywhere else) will be just as good as the Italian artisans; but until then, however well-constructed the bags are, as they are machine made by relative newcomers to the trade, they will never seem as luxurious, or pleasing.

Incidentally, I don't think we're complaining about the quality of construction - my Kerala Wallet, if anything, is technically better constructed than my other wallets; as it is machine sewn and so, technically, faultless; but a big part of what I (and I think most other people) love about designer accessories (apart from the quality of design and materials used) is the fact that they are handmade and not just machine-made on an assembly line (wherever that assembly line may be).

These items are described as 'luxury goods', after all and assembly-line machine-made goods are not true luxury goods, IMO.

I think what manufacturers, such as Chloe, should have done, as soon as they realised that there was a potential problem with production prices getting out-of-hand, is that they should have set-up workshops in countries such as Romania and Moldova and then trained the workers in the skill of handcrafting leathergoods, for several years, before beginning production. That way, they could have, accurately, continued to describe the goods as handmade by highly skilled artisans; rather than setting up a machining factory and beginning production immediately; which gives the impression of lowering standards.
  14. I could have not said that better.
  15. chloehandbags, You are a very good writer, as I've heard someone else say. You always seem to be fair in your opinions and back up your beliefs with solid facts when you have them. You always seem to choose your words carefully, so as not to be offensive. In short, I look forward to your posts, and even if I didn't agree with everything you said I would certainly respect where it was coming from.:smile: