Keeping Your Maiden Name

I kept my name only because I was established as Dr. already. My kids have their dad's last name but like to go by hyphenated last name so they are connected to me.

I can't wait to drop my last name. It's Ukrainian and ugly and no one every spells it or says it correctly. When my parents divorced, we were going to take my Mom's last name, but I really couldn't go through life being known as Jill Jinks! Like that wouldn't have caused me grief in middle school & high school.

I kept my maiden name because I had so much paperwork going on at that time (including my greencard application). Professionally, I thought it would sound wierd since I am Asian, with an asian sounding name and my husaband's name sounds totally irish (although strictly speaking, they were suppose to be british canadian). Since having our daughter, I wish we had the same last name, especially when we travel, since all three of us carry different passports.

I have over a decade of professional history and publications under my maiden name, so I just tacked my husband's last name onto mine sans hyphen. It works as colleagues can still locate and identify me with my married name, and my husband and I share his family name. When we have children they will have my maiden name as their middle name, per Filipino tradition.

i want to take my husbands last name when i do get married... With hopes his last name is shorter than my madien name :smile:. My name is ( i think ) extra long. Only 8 letters , but combined with my first , its 15 letters

I took my husband's name when we got married. However, I think it's perfectly fine to keep your name. What irritates the heck out of me is when woman use both. PICK A *!*#*! NAME!!! No one is that important that they need to use two names.