"Karma" - what does it mean to you

merika

Wol
O.G.
Nov 1, 2006
In the past few years I've noticed the word "Karma" enter people's vocabularies. People on posts here also occasionaly talk about "good Karma" "bad Karma" and so on.

When/if you use the word, what meaning does it have to you?

This is the definition in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:

(often capitalized) : the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence.

Well, I know what it means, but I tend to think that being a good person will bring more good to you in this life, as I don't believe in reincarnation. I feel that negative actions will result in negative effects on me, and vice versa.

if you do good then good will come back to you...if you do mean and bad things on purpose then thats what you call bad karma "what comes around goes around"

I think for me it means your actions "in this life and anything after life". So, I try to put out good Karma and also to receive good Karma in hopes that it will help me to get to where ever I need to be in this life or beyond.

from what I've learned, there are 3 types (past, present, future) of Karma in Hinduism that refer to "action-reaction". For every action you set up, there is a "seed" planted and will result in the "fruit" (consequence) of an action. Like in the Mahabharata (Gita) where Krisna goes on and on about karma and dharma...

In Buddhism, I find there's much more emphasis on samsara and how our actions bind our "soul/atman" in this ever reincarnating cycle, until nirvana or parinirvana is reached (use of quotation marks for atman cuz Buddhism believes in ANATMAN, ie no-soul, impermanence). Karma here seems to last longer to me and can affect the 'soul' for eons whereas Hinduism talks more about the immediate effects of Karma (dunno if this is right, just my interpretation). Also Buddhism stresses on Karmic merit where a person does a lot a lot alot of GOOD and then this positive power can bump him/her to the next godlike level in samsara until you're finally free from it. Eg. Mira who tried to tempt the last Buddha right before he reached nirvana. Mira's like this godlike devil who used or rather abused his past karmic merit to gain powers and do evil harm...

BASICALLY lol, to me in the end, it's like the 10 commandments, don't steal, rape, kill...etc

I've studied Hinduism quite a bit and attended temple regularly for a while, and I understand the true meaning of karma. But most Americans use it like they use the word heaven ("heavenly" chocolate and the like), and the word has barely an echo of its true meaning.

Clearly karma does not apply in a single lifetime as we can clearly see that negative actions do not always or even usually incur negative consequences. Nor is karma God's revenge on anyone, either. It is quite simply a law of nature like any other.

While I consider myself an atheist, I try to avoid casual use of the word karma, as I do feel it is disrespectful to toss it around without heed to its true meaning.

I don't believe in Karma as in if you do good then good will come to you! I know many evil people in this world who get along just fine & have good things happen to them while I also know really good people who have bad things happen to them. There are no rules unfortunately!

Karma, from a modern Atheist perspective: Doing something rotten, knowing consciously or deep down knowing that you've done something rotten, and using the next bad thing that happens to you/another person as a well-timed and appropriate reaction to the original negative action.

A reaction to specific, recognized action won't seem quite so appropriate? loud? visible? if you aren't so conscious of it :graucho:

Listening to both sides of what karma really means I cant say I really know what it is :shrugs:
So I guess I just don't believe in karma and hope for the best to happen and take whatever, whatever gives me!(Confusing I know LOL)
But I would like to think there is something out there that will make sure what goes around comes around ;)

from what I've learned, there are 3 types (past, present, future) of Karma in Hinduism that refer to "action-reaction". For every action you set up, there is a "seed" planted and will result in the "fruit" (consequence) of an action. Like in the Mahabharata (Gita) where Krisna goes on and on about karma and dharma...

In Buddhism, I find there's much more emphasis on samsara and how our actions bind our "soul/atman" in this ever reincarnating cycle, until nirvana or parinirvana is reached (use of quotation marks for atman cuz Buddhism believes in ANATMAN, ie no-soul, impermanence). Karma here seems to last longer to me and can affect the 'soul' for eons whereas Hinduism talks more about the immediate effects of Karma (dunno if this is right, just my interpretation). Also Buddhism stresses on Karmic merit where a person does a lot a lot alot of GOOD and then this positive power can bump him/her to the next godlike level in samsara until you're finally free from it. Eg. Mira who tried to tempt the last Buddha right before he reached nirvana. Mira's like this godlike devil who used or rather abused his past karmic merit to gain powers and do evil harm...

BASICALLY lol, to me in the end, it's like the 10 commandments, don't steal, rape, kill...etc

Oh, wow, Cecilia - that's the most correct definition of karma I ever heard!!

:flowers:

I don't believe in Karma as in if you do good then good will come to you! I know many evil people in this world who get along just fine & have good things happen to them while I also know really good people who have bad things happen to them. There are no rules unfortunately!

yes unfortunately that's been my experience too. not sure i believe in karma or justice or that you get what you deserve... very sad.:confused1:

I believe that Karma is "energy" or intention that you form that gets created and sent out and then returns to you because you surround yourself with it...

I dont believe that bad people will always have all bad things coming their way but rather a intent that they create for themselves that hinder them and others....not so much good or bad but in many forms it takes that effects you and others.....