Just to Clarify... What is Vernis?

1. It's Patent leather right? How come some people call it plastic? :confused1:

2. I think it is plastic-y like...I don't know, though :o

3. I am pretty sure patent leather is plastic coated leather. :smile: I hope no one is calling it just "plastic". Miroir is pretty much plastic (PVC-polyvinyl chloride).

4. my SA told me that because the put a coating of varnish to make it shiney, you have to be careful...i think it is patent leather

5. That's a good question. I've never thought about it, but now that you've asked I'm curious too.

6. acording to the tags you get that tells you the materials it is
    outside:- Varnish calf leather
    inside calf leather

7. It is leather coated with a varnish making it patent leather.

8. Embossed patent leather.

9. :yes: :yes:

10. I've never really seen anything else with the Vernis materal on it, have you?

11. It's patent leather.

ETA: You can smell the leather from the inside.

12. only SOME vernis items are leather inside. Basically the outside is always embossed patented leather, however the inside can be leather, synthetic/plastic material, or cotton lining

13. so it is, indeed, leather, fron a cow. not from a plastic tree, but from an animal?
    good to know, because my vernis was expensive!

14. The LV site and product card describes it as scratch-resistant plastic coating on the leather! I'm pretty confident of it being not as prone to scratches as some might think. But yes it would pick up ink-type stains (newspapers, magazines, etc) more easily due to the plastic/rubbery coating

15. Its coated patent leather.