just received a fake Balenciaga Work...

I just recieved the following email from Paypal.
so they want me to return it WITHOUT talking to the seller first? That seems so risky to me. Am I missing something? Are they planning on refunding my money instantly when it arrives?

If anyone has dealt with this before, please let me know, paypal is slow to respond ;)

We have determined that you may be eligible for a refund on this PayPal
transaction. To qualify for a refund, please return the item received
to
the seller in the same condition in which it was received. (You are
responsible for shipping and handling costs for the returned
merchandise.)
The amount you will be eligible to receive is determined by the terms
of
our buyer protection policies and we may be unable to make a full
recovery
of your payment from the seller. Please review the buyer protection
policies in our User Agreement before shipping the item back to the
seller.

$$$$$$$$$$
Montreal
Quebec
$$$$$$$$$
Canada

Once you have returned the item, please log in to your PayPal account
and
provide tracking information that can be verified online.
PayPal strongly recommends using a shipping service that provides
tracking.

You may also choose to cancel this claim if you wish to work directly
with
the seller to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Protection Services Department

Ugh. I'm so sick for you. I've been through this before.

You're actually a step ahead because at least Paypal is saying that you may qualify for a refund.

In my case, I was told that my issue (fake bag) didn't fall under "item significantly not as described" and that they could only do something if the item wasn't received.
Whatever.

Anyway, the problem is going to arise because, in the event that they find in your favor, they will then try to recover the funds from the sellers account. If the seller EMPTIES her account, then you end up getting nothing.
That's actually somewhere on the Paypal terms.

Ugh. I wish I had something more encouraging to say :sad:

Yea, in the future I would be very careful when deciding what sellers to buy such high end handbags from. First of all, even though the seller is a powerseller, I don't see a consistent history of selling handbags. I would try to avoid sellers who don't have an established history of selling authentic handbags.

Another red flag which I see when looking through her feedbacks is that a few item numbers were removed by Ebay. Is this because the items were counterfeit? It makes you wonder.

I am sure in hindsight that you see these things as red flags, but you just have to be extremely careful with who you trust on Ebay with such a large transaction.

Poor Winona. I hate all these dispicable people who ruin people's days and faith in mankind.
The paypal proccess is a hassle . is there a chat function you can talk to someone there and explain what went on?

Winona, I've dealt with paypal regarding returning a fake before. Yes, now that you have the claim open, send the bag back and make sure you use a service that has tracking and will provide you with a tracking number. Keep your receipt with this information safe and once you've done it log into your paypal account and go to the dispute thread and enter in the tracking number when it tells you. Paypal can then track the item and will know you've returned it. Once it reaches the seller, they WILL refund your money. Just be patient. It might take up to 30 days but you'll get it back.

Well I have had a dispute pending for three weeks now and have not been asked to send the bag back. Actually I have not heard anything. I'd be nervous about sending it back without taking lots of photos of it first and making sure you have a tracking number and make sure too that they have to sign for it when they receive it.

Are you sure they said to return it already? That seems awfully quick. I got one stating I might have to return the item (of course I don't want a vinyl replica bag) and/or I may have to take the item to someone to authenticate. But so far they have not told me which if either of the two I must do. Mine was a Tod's though and a tiny fraction but I sure feel for you!

Downtownatlanta, have you escalated the dispute to a claim? When you just open a dispute, paypal really doesn't do much and doesn't truly get involved until you go in and escalate it yourself. You should do this (if you haven't already) since it seems like you are getting nowhere with the seller.

I would recommend sending it Express mail. It'll be about $22 to Canada and probably fit in one of those Express boxes. Express mail can be tracked and should take about 5 business days.
Luckily it sounds as if you'll be getting a refund. Although it does stink that you have to pay for the return shipping!

wow sorry this happened. I hope you are able to get your money back. This happend to me a few years, I only got $0 back out of $975 as the seller canceled her paypal account after my transaction. I really hope it works out for you, DARN ebay.