Just found out my doxie has cancer

1. Well, I have had my rescue doxie, Millie, the black beauty in my avatar for only 6 weeks. On Monday, she had to have some mammary tumors removed. Today the lab results came back and they show that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, not the lungs yet, and the cancer in the lymph nodes appears to be pretty early. This little doggie was rescued from a puppy mill where she was being used as a breeder. Had she been treated properly and spayed, she probably would not have gotten cancer. I am so sad. :sad:
  2. oh man that blows. what is the prognosis?
  3. I'm sooo sorry. I have a doxie. too.....just love them!! We put down our springer spaniel last August. She had cancer in her lymph nodes. I hate puppy mills. My parents got a mini schnauzer that had distemper....she came from a puppy mill. It affected her heart and she didn't live very long. Ugh.....it's so sad for the dogs.
  4. If I do chemo she might get 5 more years. No chemo she will be dead in 6 months or so. WTF? This is so sad.
  5. I am so sorry to hear this about your precious baby. It's so sad.
  6. It sounds like you caught it in time. With chemo for our dog, the prognosis was 3 months, so we didn't do it. She actually lived 4 months without anything except pain medication. We knew when it was time.
  7. I am so sorry. Make every day count with your doggie, and do what you think is best for him. Stay positive. I will keep your doggie in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and successful recovery.
  8. That's really sad and I'm sorry to hear it. I hope that she's able to live out the rest of her life pain-free. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
  9. My beloved Samoyed mix, Sheba got cancer when she was around 10 years old. She was terrified of going to the vets. I just couldn't let her last months/weeks/days be filled with fear and suffering from chemo. I told the vet that I'd just take her home, let her live her days out happily and when the time came, I'd deal with it at home and humanely with the mobile vet service.

And that's what I did. As hard as it was to make the final decision, I'll never regret not doing chemo and putting her through all that. She lived about a year after the diagnosis, but it was a happy, comfortable year.

That was 13 years ago and I still miss her terribly, so I sincerely feel you pain. :crybaby:
  10. Irishgal -

I'm so sorry to read about your doxie...my thoughts are with you, and I hope that things get better.
  11. I'm so sorry. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  12. I'm so sorry.. just reading your story makes me want to cry. I know how attached we are to our animals, they are our companions.. our babies..
    I have 5 fur babies myself, and I cant bear to be w/o them.

If the vet said that she can have 5 more yrs with chemo, I would do it if I were you.

Puppy mills should be banned! The human operators deserved to be burned in hell for treating animals like that for money! I hate this matter passionately!

That being said, hugs to you in this difficult time.. all the best for you and Millie and I hope she can make it thru.
  13. So sad to hear about poor Millie.
  14. Awwwww, so sorry, Irishgal. Hope it all turns out okay. Damn puppy mills... there's a special hell for people who run those!
  15. That is awful! I hate puppy mills. I hope your dog isn't suffering in anyway. Poor thing. My dog had a cyst removed last year. The pathology report came back that it wasn't cancer but b/c of some kind of fluid in it, it had the possibility of turning into cancer. Thank god she has been fine, but she is 11 years old and I kind of expect this kind of stuff to happen. Hugs to you and your pup!