Just came back from Paris - what a wonderful city to visit!

lv_forever

O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
I was a little hesitant to post this, as many of you have already been to Paris several times, but I would like to share my experience if you don't mind. I apologize if my post is a bit long.

I had a wonderful 8-9 day trip to Paris, and it was my first time there. I travelled alone. Because I had many days to spare, I set 4 days aside for "tourist traveling", hitting all the famous places and museums, and the rest of the days would be just kind of idling around the city and get a feel for what it would be like to live in the city.

I didn't really do any fancy shopping, actually just walked around everywhere and went into little shops that were cheap and had a good time just practicing my poor French :nogood: with the locals. They were generally quite friendly.

My preconceptions about Paris and Parisians were proven untrue. I thought they were all fashionistas toting around designer bags and wearing designer heels. While I do admit that they are fashionably dressed, most locals weren't decked out in designer goods. I saw some in fancy neighborhoods, but that was not the norm. Especially not for young women my age (twenties). Somehow, this was comforting to me, because I felt that I would feel horribly underdressed in Paris. Also this made me think about my insistence upon designer goods.

Also, they were not arrogant or unfriendly. I found quite the opposite to be true.

All in all, I feel like this trip wasn't really about seeing the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre, but more about seeing how the people on the other side of the world live and making me think about myself. How I lead my life and what I value and things like that. I never liked walking so much or the sun:nuts: too much in my life, but after the trip, I am a changed woman. Yesterday, I sat outside in the balcony in my condo and drank a cup of coffee for a long 30 minutes, which I never did/enjoyed before, ever.

I apologize if this post is too long or doesn't make much sense. It is 5:34AM and I am still up because I still have the jet lag! Can't sleep! :hysteric:

No need to apologize for wanting to share your vacation experience; there may be many here who have been to Paris, but there could be many MORE who have not. Sounds like you had a really great time, very cool!

Great to hear your experience. I adore Paris! Glad you enjoyed! I really think any less than a week in Paris is too short, I could do a month :smile:

Your post made me miss home... so now I've resolved to go back and visit Paris as soon as I can after the twins are born! I love that you traveled alone and didn't let that stop you from thoroughly enjoying the trip. Truth be told, I think that's the best kind of travel. The trips I took alone are always the ones that I feel I remember most fondly. Maybe because they were the most "introverted" and "quiet", so I did a lot of unhurried self-reflection and nothing beats spurts of emotional/intellectual growth in beautiful, mysterious new places!

Don't you think those trips are the most treasurable, the ones during which you only enjoy life and don't feel obliged to see everything all the time, just feeling the air and spirit of the city! =-D I love Paris, I can't wait to go back and I'm super jalous of your trip. ;)

So glad you had a Wonderful time and experience:yahoo: I used to go there frequently for work and I think it gets more and more beautiful with each visit:yes:

It is one of the only things I miss about not working:lol: