Just bought the Speedy Damier Azur 30...now realize it has cloth tag

Here's a 2010 article - VERY clearly showing multiple outsourcing distribution levels and places:

http://www.kn-portal.com/nc/about_u...vide_integrated_showcase_warehouse_solutions/

Here's a quote from the article. It's very, very telling.

Tokyo, March 08, 2010 - Louis Vuitton Japan, a subsidiary of the LVMH Group, one of the world’s most prestigious companies in the retail industry, has awarded Kuehne + Nagel Japan a contract for the management of its regional distribution centre in Osaka. Based on the systems and processes customised in this facility, Kuehne + Nagel will further be responsible for setting up showcase warehouse operations for all of Louis Vuitton’s outsourced distribution centres worldwide.

If it were made in France by guest workers, would you not buy it?

Do you need the workers to be French born only?

Can they be French but live and work in China?

Can they be French but first-generation immigrants from Africa?

Must they be multi-generation French born?

Do these answers predict the quality of the bag you will receive?

I'm not sure who you are talking to - I have not been talking about MIF in this thread. I'm talking about not wanting made in third world countries without any transparency. I imagine you must be talking to someone else though (although I'm not sure who because you haven't quoted anyone - LOL!). I have not brought up MIF. In fact, I said at this point I would be happy with made in the USA - but they aren't. What I'm not happy with is not having any idea where they are made and paying full luxury prices for items likely made in sweatshops in third world countries and tags which do not reflect this. Your post doesn't really follow what's been going on in the thread, so it's a little confusing.

In answer to your last question - it's a proven fact, pretty much across all manufacturing sectors, the outsourced bags from third world countries usually do not have the same quality. We're seeing it a lot lately with LV.

Last edited:
I was responding to the OP, naturally. The subject is the cloth tag and what it implies or doesn't imply about materials and labor. You wanted to discuss outsourcing, and I want to understand the expectations in the initial post. (If there's a "you" in a post without a quote, it's fairly customary to understand that the OP is being addressed, but I apologize if that was confusing.)

I fully agree with you, Charleston-Mom, about transparency on outsourcing. What interests me is the OP's potential disappointment and where that springs from.

I was responding to the OP, naturally. The subject is the cloth tag and what it implies or doesn't imply about materials and labor. You wanted to discuss outsourcing, and I want to understand the expectations in the initial post. (If there's a "you" in a post without a quote, it's fairly customary to understand that the OP is being addressed, but I apologize if that was confusing.)

I fully agree with you, Charleston-Mom, about transparency on outsourcing. What interests me is the OP's potential disappointment and where that springs from.

Oh - Okay - my old mind is not working fast enough here - ha ha! What I don't understand though is why people are saying the OP only wanted MIF. I didn't see where she ever said that. In fact, she said she didn't mind made in the USA, just wanted to know where they were made and didn't like the cloth tag as a result. Did she say she only wanted MIF? I just couldn't find that. But I'm reading on an iphone and it's hard sometimes to navigate. The cloth tag implicitly implies outsourcing so that's kind of how I was responding, and wanting to back up for people links showing it is indeed happening, for those who think it isn't, so they can make informed choices. I'm afraid we're all going to be kind of stuck with it if we love LV.

Last edited:
I would happily accept a bag that was Made in USA. But this tag reads Made in USA of imported materials.

in the end I have paid $800 for a French bag that was not made in France or even the USA but some unspecified - perhaps third world - country with shoddy working conditions. I expect more from Louis Vuitton.

She will accept a USA bag but then not in fact accept it--on the basis of uncertainty about how it really came to be. That is her privilege, of course. I guess I'm curious what a French bag means to LV customers now as opposed to in times when the question would be absurd.

I was perhaps ineffectively trying to get at what the "right" conditions of purchase might be.

And here's an article about how they just had to close the same plant due to labor problems. THIS IS NOT THEIR ONLY PLANT, nor is it the only country in which they have manufacturing plants.

http://fashionscandal.com/index.php...disposes-off-its-manufacturing-unit-in-india/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ll-unit-in-Puducherry/articleshow/8933351.cms

Here's our lovely and expensive LV shoes (which coincidentally care "Made in Italy" tags):

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/09/19/idUSL1969542820070919

More articles:

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/fashion/louis_vuitton_soon_to_get_made_in_india_tag.php
I have been lurking in this thread and I just want to thank you for posting these articles. Very informative.

After reading this interesting thread in which I also just purchased a new Speedy Mono 35 that has the Made in France tag last week, I mentioned to the SA in LV NM about this issue( for lack of a better word?), of the cloth tags that say "Made in the USA" and the one's that say "Made in France" and I was told that the material is from France but it was being stitched/finished now in the US for most of their popular bags such as the speedy and neverfull. According to her, she said the demand for these bags was high and to resolve the issue of supply and demand in the US, that was overwhelming production in french warehouses , LV now has these cloth tags or the leather tag that says "Made in the USA". Now I did express an interest in where in the US these were being made/finished but she never said. Don't know if that helps ...

After reading this interesting thread in which I also just purchased a new Speedy Mono 35 that has the Made in France tag last week, I mentioned to the SA in LV NM about this issue( for lack of a better word?), of the cloth tags that say "Made in the USA" and the one's that say "Made in France" and I was told that the material is from France but it was being stitched/finished now in the US for most of their popular bags such as the speedy and neverfull. According to her, she said the demand for these bags was high and to resolve the issue of supply and demand in the US, that was overwhelming production in french warehouses , LV now has these cloth tags or the leather tag that says "Made in the USA". Now I did express an interest in where in the US these were being made/finished but she never said. Don't know if that helps ...

Yep - this is the party line for the moment.

There are no new tag laws. This isn't something new the government requires. These laws have been on the books a decade or more. The reason LV had to make the change is that their outsourcing is new. The law is not. It's a new thing that they are no longer making the bags in the US. LV would not be required to use these tags unless they are outsourcing. These tag laws and enforcement of them is not anything new. The outsourcing is.

Every company makes different changes throughout their years, due to availability, cost etc... plants close plants open, etc... I think compiling business articles (I couldn't link to over half of them though, not sure why they didn't work for me) spanning back to 2006/2007 and calling out in several threads, that there are "no more USA made bags" (The San Dimas CA plant is still currently open and operational, no major changes) I know someone who knows someone who works there. Lol. :smile: And siting these old articles as the reasons for current "awful quality" and for the "new tag" verbiage etc.. is perhaps presumptuous and inflammatory. BUT I will be VERY interested to see what LV does say, when they finally release an official statement or reason. So many of us know and work with LV employees we would trust and we all hear different things ~ you being in the legal profession we can all see what a hot button this is for you, I am just very sad that newer members are coming in to TPF or Louis Vuitton in general, and seeing so many threads turned into negativity with so much speculation written as what looks like fact, things about awful conditions and 3rd world countries etc.. wow. I'm just not ready to jump on your bandwagon but good luck with your cause! :P

Every company makes different changes throughout their years, due to availability, cost etc... plants close plants open, etc... I think compiling business articles (I couldn't link to over half of them though, not sure why they didn't work for me) spanning back to 2006/2007 and calling out in several threads, that there are "no more USA made bags" (The San Dimas CA plant is still currently open and operational, no major changes) I know someone who knows someone who works there. Lol. :smile: And siting these old articles as the reasons for current "awful quality" and for the "new tag" verbiage etc.. is perhaps presumptuous and inflammatory. BUT I will be VERY interested to see what LV does say, when they finally release an official statement or reason. So many of us know and work with LV employees we would trust and we all hear different things ~ you being in the legal profession we can all see what a hot button this is for you, I am just very sad that newer members are coming in to TPF or Louis Vuitton in general, and seeing so many threads turned into negativity with so much speculation written as what looks like fact, things about awful conditions and 3rd world countries etc.. wow. I'm just not ready to jump on your bandwagon but good luck with your cause! :P

I don't see how proving they've been outsourcing for years is presumptuous and inflammatory - it's just the truth. And several of the articles were much newer. But again, I do understand people not wanting to believe what's happening. It is third world countries and quality has gone down. I'm definitely not the only one noticing it. It's all over the forum in so many many different threads - just pervasive.

No need to shoot one of the messengers or you'll have to shoot a lot of us. LOL!

And unfortunately, it is fact that they have been outsourcing for a long time, so it's not what "looks like fact" It just is. I wish it wasn't. What is a little frightening is the recent pervasive changes people all over the forum are noticing and they do seem to conincide with the new tags. Not sure exactly why - but the timing is alarming.

I think if people are aware - they'll know what quality issues to look out for as they are purchasing each style of bag so they aren't blindsided later, past the time of return or exchange and then wish they had known.

A lot of people appreciate knowing the good and the bad both. Others only want to hear the good. But it's easy to read threads and posts that fit your own particular comfort level. Simply as clicking on something else so you don't have to worry or think about the quality issues.

But for people who want to know what to look out for (peeling straps on damier ebene neverfuls, the new problems with the damier ebene speedy B, etc.) - and how to protect their coated leather (no hand sanitizer) and learn from what's happening to others in terms of glazing on their wallets, then they can examine and inspect their bags when they buy them and protect themselves as consumers and be happier with their expensive purchases. This is a great thing.

People will still buy LV - Perhaps they will be more informed consumers though and that's always a good thing. I'll still buy LV. But this forum isn't only for hearts and butterflies. It's for lots of different opinions, facts, truths, and that's what is so great about it. If people are uncomfortable with sad things dealing with LV business decisions, they are free to click off the thread and go to reveals and the rest of all the wonderful threads on the forum.

I for one want to hear it all, good and bad. I've learned SO much on this forum and it has helped me make informed choices more often than I can count. People are helped too in terms of learning how to deal with their respective SAs and boutiques when they do have quality issues and need repairs.

If people can't hear the good and the bad both, they are really "out to sea" when it comes to be able to handle the issues that crop up, know what's normal and what isn't, and how to navigate the quagmire that customer service can represent when there is a problem. That's good.

I've been sad too reading about all the different problems people are having with their bags. I've only had one recently that was really bad (a brand new zippy wallet that the glazing was peeling on within a week of purchase), but if I was new, and didn't know that others were having similar problems, or even that the wallet could crack if it wasn't fixed, I could be one of the newbies you're talking about that only wanted to hear good things and got stuck with a wallet that should have lasted 10-15 years beautifully, and only lasted a month or two.

While people do get sad hearing the bad, we all still love LV. Informed consumers that are vocal could be the only thing that will stem corporate greed and keep LV on their collective quality control toes.

I just bought an azure speedy 30 today and it does not have a cloth tag (made in USA). I did call ahead and ask if they had any bags with the heat stamp. I had decided that if I could find a bag without the cloth tag I would buy it, otherwise I was going to wait. So there are bags available without the cloth tag, although my SA said they are only getting a few without the new tags. I just got lucky.

I just bought an azure speedy 30 today and it does not have a cloth tag (made in USA). I did call ahead and ask if they had any bags with the heat stamp. I had decided that if I could find a bag without the cloth tag I would buy it, otherwise I was going to wait. So there are bags available without the cloth tag, although my SA said they are only getting a few without the new tags. I just got lucky.

I'm thrilled for you! People can always ask to buy the display if they can as well. They often are older (especially in damier ebene as it doesn't patina).