Just bought the Speedy Damier Azur 30...now realize it has cloth tag

If you are going to purchase in the US, I don't think there's much of a chance of finding a MIF Speedy. If MIF is important to you, you will probably have to buy a higher end bag to get the MIF tag. Or, perhaps, travel to Europe or some other foreign locale.

From what I understand, the new tags are required by the US government so I think it's unlikely to change since going back to MIF tags would require LV to move all manufacturing back to France and I don't see that happening.

As others have stated, the materials are the same whether it's MIF or not and the brand is the brand regardless of the tag. It's just a mind-set. As Americans we're always touting how we want to support manufacturing and against outsourcing because it takes jobs from our citizens--so, here's our chance to support US based manufacturing and jobs. Be proud! Buy American! :P

If you are going to purchase in the US, I don't think there's much of a chance of finding a MIF Speedy. If MIF is important to you, you will probably have to buy a higher end bag to get the MIF tag. Or, perhaps, travel to Europe or some other foreign locale.

From what I understand, the new tags are required by the US government so I think it's unlikely to change since going back to MIF tags would require LV to move all manufacturing back to France and I don't see that happening.

As others have stated, the materials are the same whether it's MIF or not and the brand is the brand regardless of the tag. It's just a mind-set. As Americans we're always touting how we want to support manufacturing and against outsourcing because it takes jobs from our citizens--so, here's our chance to support US based manufacturing and jobs. Be proud! Buy American! :P

Don't you get it? That's the whole problem. The jobs have been outsourced to India and china where LV now has factories. The jobs are outsourced. Over 60% of each LV bag or item is now made outside of the country. That's why they have been forced to use the new tags. We are not supporting US workers by buying the bags. We are supporting foreign workers.

The bags are no longer made here like they used to be. Our LV money is supporting primarily (over 60% of each item) workers in foreign countries, not France.

This is no longer an issue of wanting MIF. The problem is there is no such thing as a made in the USA bag anymore either. They are assembled elsewhere. Just finishing touches here. It's why we are seeing such a downturn in quality, hardware, glazing and materials. They only have to use the tag being used if over 60% of the beg is MADE elsewhere, not whether the materials are imported.

The materials were always imported before to the California plant. The tags still said "Made in the USA" period. Now they cannot legally say it anymore. The reason is that 60% or more of the bag is MADE elsewhere. This is a huge change from the last 15 years. We are not supporting American workers. Wish we were. I'd happily give up wanting MIF bags now if we could actually get bags made in the USA like we used to be able to. That's gone. Now we are getting exactly what's been happening in so many factory manufacturing jobs. Outsourcing. Bags made elsewhere and shipped here with final touches put on here. (far less then 1/2 of the bag). I've seen a huge uptake of problems all coinciding with the new tags. I sure wish American workers were still making LV bags.

Last edited:
It's such a disappointment! Out of everything I purchase I always like to feel that at least my bags aren't supporting child labor or shoddy working conditions. With the new tags, there's no guarantee anymore.

Yes. I do. :smile:

I believe the whole point of the OPs thread is that she would like 100% of LV bags to be technically MIF--regardless actual manufacturing origin.

Actually, I don't see anywhere that op said that. She's upset about the outsourcing, as we all are, and the lack of transparency and inability to have any idea where our bags are made with the new tags. Some of us don't want made in third world country bags for luxury prices. If these bags were made in the US or France, they would still be able to be labeled as such. They're not anymore.

I saw nothing from the OP specifying MIF. Her original post sure doesn't say it so to say the "whole point" was that doesn't fit. I do understand the need to try not to believe what has happened to our beloved company. But we can only suspend logic and common sense so far. The tags speak for themselves and the labeling laws in the US are really clear on why LV is being forced to label them that way. Over 60% of the bag is actually made elsewhere now. It's not just importing materials. They always did that.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't see anywhere that op said that. She's upset about the outsourcing, as we all are, and the lack of transparency and inability to have any idea where our bags are made with the new tags. Some of us don't want made in third world country bags for luxury prices. If these bags were made in the US or France, they would still be able to be labeled as such. They're not anymore.

I saw nothing from the OP specifying MIF. Her original post sure doesn't say it so to say the "whole point" was that doesn't fit. I do understand the need to try not to believe what has happened to our beloved company. But you can only suspend logic and common sense so far. The tags speak for themselves and the labeling laws in the US are really clear on why LV is being forced to label them that way. Over 60% of the bag is actually made elsewhere now. It's not just importing materials. They always did that.

I don't understand why you keep attacking the person with long paragraphs??? they were just responding to the OP.

I really don't have a issue with the ugly/cheap tag but it's the placement of it. That is my issue. I went to the boutique two weeks ago with all intentions to buy the Azur Stresa but as soon as I opened the bag the tag was right there. I passed on the bag because I know I would not like seeing that tag every time I opened up the bag.. It was pretty big too. I understand change has to be made but put that ugly tag at the bottom of the bag, in the pocket out of the owners view..

Whatever you decide you have to be happy with the bag and if you think that will continue to bother you, take it back.
GL

Charlestonmom== Not sure why you feel the need to be rude just because I do not share your interpretation or opinion...but that is certainly your prerogative.

It just seemed like you were speaking in a rude tone when you said don't you get it??? And I didn't word it properly I meant your long paragraphs.

So I was attacking myself and my own long paragraphs? Now I'm really confused. But I get it. Didn't mean to seem like I was attacking anyone, except whoever is running the shareholder show for LV.

Sorry I didn't mean to seem if my tone was harsh. I'm typing on an iPhone. Hard to see the post and put in appropriate paragraphs sometimes on such a tiny screen with middle aged eyes. Ha ha.

I didn't mean it to be harsh. I just thought you didn't understand about what the tags really mean. I'm passionate about it only because I bought my first LV over 30 years ago so I'm really sad and upset at the changes in quality But not at you so sorry if it seemed they way.

I know it's a silly wish, but I wish we could band together and get the old way back. I'm well aware it's a pipe dream and agree we're going to have to bite the bullet and accept what's happened and go from here. But hey, a girl can dream.

Hi OP, to answer your question, yes it would bother me to get the ugly tag, mostly because I've been reading about it...but since you already bought it, does it really bother you or can you live with it? If it really bothers you exhaust all means to find another bag, if not just keep and enjoy!

I'm sorry - but I think the tags is something you will have to get used to... its going to be on most of the MIUSA bags...

You will have a hard time finding a MIF speedy. I think you should keep it.