Just bought a birkin--urgent question-line down the middle?

1. Looking for help from all the Hermes experts. I just drove home from Fed ex, my heart pounding, my new (to me) birkin in a box in the back. This is my first Hermes.

I took it out of the box and instead of falling over at it's beauty, I noticed a line going down the front and back. Is this normal? I'm assuming no, but want to double-check.

I purchased it from a reputable reseller and can send it back. I fully intend to do that unless you all tell me that this is normal. I've attached three pictures that I think capture it.

The leather is chevre, color is rouge vif.

Thank you!
    birkin1.jpg birkin2.jpg birkin3.jpg
  2. The line is a normal aspect for this leather.

Oh, and congratulations.
  3. I think it is just the grain of the leather...but I will let other more experienced H lovers confirm that for you.

It's a BEAUTIFUL color by the way and congratulations on your first H!!!!
  4. OMG, what a gorgeous, gorgeous bag! The line down the middle announces to the world that it's Chevre. Congratulations -- you hit the jackpot!
  5. You have a beautiful bag. Some people like the spine on chevre others do not, some people may not like it, but the overall way that chevre takes color and the sheen it has helps them overlook it.
  6. Whoa!!! Your bag is gorgeous!! The line is normal and I think it is distinctive. Enjoy your beautiful new Birkin! Wow!
  7. What a beauty! The line from the spine is normal! Very nice...chevre leather is one of the lightest to carry too!
  8. Gorgeous, congrats! I am not lucky enough to own a Chevre but know this line is normal
  9. Ooh, I LOVE the spine down the middle, ck21!:love: This is a special feature of chevre de coromandel. My favourite! Your bag is absolutely GORGEOUS!!
  10. Yes, that line down the middle is normal. I have heard that the Japanese buyers love that it has that spine line down the middle.

It does bothers me...
  11. beautiful bag! you lucky girl, rouge vif chevre is one of the grail bags for me :p

The line down the middle is normal, since chevre is goat skin, that line is actually the spine of the goat :p
  12. ck21, beautiful chevre birkin! Is that a 35? The spine usually continues along the bottom, too.
  13. Gorgeous, congrats!
  14. I love chevre de coromandel. your bag is just lovely!
  15. ck21, it's ok to fall over at the beauty of your new Birkin now:yahoo:

Congratulations.....it's stunning!!