jogging question

1. I am about 30 lbs over weight and I have been jogging for the last 2 months 5 days a week. I have lost only 3 lbs. My question is, does jogging build muscle? I have noticed that my legs are very firm, you can not pinch any fat on my thighs or calves. And my stomach has gone down and my arms are firmer. I am just worried about NOT losing weight!
    I jog about 30-45 minutes 5-6 times a week and I do Pilates in the evening.
  2. Yes, running will help you build muscle. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so even though the scale number may not be going down, you may be losing fat still. I remember when I lost a lot of weight, I noticed a huge change in my body shape and toned up a lot before I noticed the numbers on the scale going down. Good luck with your running!
  3. I am not the right person to give you advice or wisdom, as I am not a professional, but I would like to say GOOD FOR YOU!!!

It seems to me that having toned your thighs, calves, stomach and arms proves that your jogging and Pilates is working! And I commend you for this! It takes a lot of energy and willpower to consistentely exercise. It has got to be healthy for you! As for the weight loss, I don't know... but 3 lbs. is better than no lbs. and as long as you are healthy and fit, keep at it. The rewards are sure to be greater than what shows up on the scales!
  4. Congrats on your sticking to your running! I would recommend your doing some cross-training -- alternating your running with something else maybe twice a week or so , like riding a bike, doing the elliptical trainer at the gym, swimming, an aerobics class, etc. -- so that you don't get injured. (A 5-day per week running schedule might set your body up for injury down the rode if you aren't cross-training.) Re: muscle, running doesn't really build muscle, but if you started your running routine from zero, so to speak, meaning you were doing zero exercise and now you're running 5 days per week, then you definitely will see improvements. But eventually you will want to add 2 or 3 days per week of resistance training -- which DOES build muscle -- to continue to see those awesome results and to protect against injury. As far losing pounds (decreasing body fat) goes, be sure to take a close look at your diet. Exercising alone really is not the most effective way to lost weight -- most people need to combine the exercise with a knowledge, sensible, realistic eating plan. Calories count!!! Good luck and congrats again on your new healthy habit!!
  5. Ditto! To lose weight, you need to cut down on calories.
  6. i'm in the same boat as you! been excercising my butt off for 3 months now but have not noticed any weightloss until recently. I've been keeping track of my calories and making sure I burn more than I consume, which means weightloss.
  7. I do know for a fact that a lot of people underestimate the number of calories they consume and overestimate the calories they burn... I used to do that, not counting the coffees and the little bites here and there. It all adds up!
  8. you are starting to build muscle, and muscle is what burns the fat. The more muscle you have the faster and more fat you're going to burn.
    Also if you're not changing your diet any you wont notice as much. Second, how long are you jogging for? you need to be keeping you heart rate up for at least 25 mins. that doesnt mean you only need to jog that long but you need your heart rate up that long. You might be able to jog for 15 mins before you rate is up so that mean you need to start 25 min from that point.

Also try eating 5 meals a day and not 3. Have the same thing every morning for breakfast and try and keep it to the same time. If you have b/fast at 730, then have a light lunch at 11-1130 and have a salad/ or chicken salad bowl of rice something fairly light. Then eat again about 2-230 and again a small meal. If you're able sub a meal for a meal replacement. Then have a health supper again something small. You're going to teach your body to NOT want food, no getting hungry. You will find this will help you burn food faster as well.

Also switch up your jogging, if you're doing 30 mins a day, start doing 40 even if the last 10 mins are a fast walk. You will soon learn how your body burns fat and what you need to do to jump start your fat burning again.

Not everyone burns fat at the same speed, keep that in mind. and the slower you shed pounds the longer you're going to keep it off. Why because you have trained your body when if need to eat, and what you need to survive. This will help you maintain a health weight and toned body.

BTW you're doing great dont let it get you down. You just to add a little something to jump start your body again.
  9. I also wanted to add, keep in mind MUSCLE weights MORE then fat.

Another tip, get OFF The scale, its your enemy not your friend. Use your clothes and pictures as a gauge to how much your weight has changed.

Stand on the scale once every two weeks see see number changes. This is a big deal for a lot of people but what they need to know is the scale will scare you. Like you, you want to see the numbers going down. When they arent going down to your liking you get depressed or sad and you then go WTH is going on? I work my A$$ off and thats it!

So instead of the scale try on those jeans or dress pants that were ok or snug on you and take pictures when you start working out. See the fat there... give it time. Gee now its 2 weeks later i'm going to try those same pants on, take pictures.. Where did that roll go? thats right you're weight has changed. but the scale might not tell you that. Fact is the fat that you're loosing is being replace with muscle that weights more. So in fact you might have lost 3 pounds of fat just over that two week period but you gained 2 pounds of muscle. That is healthy.

The more muscle you have the fast you shed weight the healthier you feel and look.

Just a thought, :smile:
  10. excellent points and advice. Thank you. I I get alittle discouraged when I look at that darn scale and no weight loss. BUt since I have started jogging, my body craves it. I get the urge to go for a run and since my body got used to doing it everyday, I HAVE to do it everyday!
    It is the best work out!