Workplace Job Interview Attire & Hairstyle

When I go on my interviews always button up shirt, dress pants, heels no more than 3 inches, no hoop/dangling earrings, only accessory I'd have on is my watch, hair always pin up and tied back...if it's not too warm for a blazer, I'd take that too

I think it varies so widely...some places only want to see management interviewees in suits, while others expect everyone from the ground up to wear one. If I can't decide, I always err on the side of over-dressing, you can always remove your blazer if it seems too much.

I will say, with hair and makeup I usually try to downplay my femininity in an interview, whether it's with a man or a woman. My line of work has led me to places where I am selling my intellect and skill, rather than myself. I think if you'll be in a position to interface with customers, then you may want to play up attractiveness, because that sells and comes across as more friendly. However, that's just not been desirable at the places I have worked for, and it's even seen as a distraction to be "pretty". I wear my hair in a low bun or ponytail.

I am not familiar with the IT environment at all...I just picture nerdy men at a computer (I :heart: nerds!). So I have no idea what is appropriate for that sort of work. I would take your cues from the person who would be your immediate supervisor and dress as they do.

I've worked at 2 NASDAQ listed tech companies.

For one, the interview was on a Friday, and I knew from a friend that they did casual Fridays. So I wore a crisp white collared shirt, blue jeans, chic little white trainers, nice pair of specs, engagement ring and a cute slouchy hobo bag. Long hair blown out, worn down. Casual-preppy, pretty touches, still crisp and neat. Got the job on first interview.

For the other, it was a normal work day. Again I had researched a little bit and found out they had a fairly casual work environment. Wore dark grey dress trousers with black ballet flats, a light-colored blouse, black cardigan and accent scarf. Specs and wedding set. Long hair blown out, worn down. Also got the job on first interview.

FWIW neither of these were management-level positions.

Use your best judgement. Look professional and make sure you're comfortable. A note on the hair though, I usually wear mine in a low ponytail, because I can tend to play with my hair when I get nervous (like during an interview), so that almost completely eliminates any risk of me playing with my hair. You usually will be safer over-dressing than under-dressing. Like I said, be sure you are comfortable and feel good about what you are wearing. I usually wear a nice pencil skirt that falls just below the knee when I'm standing, and I feel super awesome in it, so it gives me that extra surge of confidence I need!

I wear a suit and a shirt (varying professional colours), black high heels, black bag, simple earrings, a silver watch with understated makeup and my hair down and straightened. I dont play with my hair in interviews so I dont worry about it being down.

Hi ladies,

I'm new to this whole posting thing so I hope I'm getting this right! HA! Anyhow, I've read all your comments on what to wear to an interview and enjoy them ALL!! I have a job interview for a flight attendant position with an amazing (and I heard very fun) airline company in mid July in Texas (yes it will be VERY HOT!) and am wondering what I should wear?? I want to look very professional so I'm thinking a black business suit (or white? too much??) but also don't want to look TOO stiff either like I don't know how to have fun! Their email stated: "dress to impress."
What are ya'll's (had to throw that one in!) thoughts on peep toe shoes for this interview??? They seem to be very on trend right now and can also be professional if done right, ie. smaller peep toe? Thoughts anyone!!

OH wait, hairstyle... its a flight attendant position so should I go with hair up or down?? My hair is blond and goes to the middle of my back...

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this whole posting thing so I hope I'm getting this right! HA! Anyhow, I've read all your comments on what to wear to an interview and enjoy them ALL!! I have a job interview for a flight attendant position with an amazing (and I heard very fun) airline company in mid July in Texas (yes it will be VERY HOT!) and am wondering what I should wear?? I want to look very professional so I'm thinking a black business suit (or white? too much??) but also don't want to look TOO stiff either like I don't know how to have fun! Their email stated: "dress to impress."
What are ya'll's (had to throw that one in!) thoughts on peep toe shoes for this interview??? They seem to be very on trend right now and can also be professional if done right, ie. smaller peep toe? Thoughts anyone!!

OH wait, hairstyle... its a flight attendant position so should I go with hair up or down?? My hair is blond and goes to the middle of my back...

Hmmm...interesting. "Dress to Impress" means a suit to me. But given the position I almost think you could step outside of that a little. Initially I thought of clean white slacks and a silk top. But the dress to impress threw me off, so I'm not sure if that would be acceptable. Alternatively, since it will be so hot a skirt suit may be a good idea. Either way, I wouldn't wear peep-toes. I've never had a position where they were considered professional. There are a lot of on-trend items that just don't translate well to the workplace.

Since your hair is so long, I would pull it up in a loose bun, or similar style that you feel comfortable with.

And welcome to TPF! :flowers:

Hmmm...interesting. "Dress to Impress" means a suit to me. But given the position I almost think you could step outside of that a little. Initially I thought of clean white slacks and a silk top. But the dress to impress threw me off, so I'm not sure if that would be acceptable. Alternatively, since it will be so hot a skirt suit may be a good idea. Either way, I wouldn't wear peep-toes. I've never had a position where they were considered professional. There are a lot of on-trend items that just don't translate well to the workplace.

Since your hair is so long, I would pull it up in a loose bun, or similar style that you feel comfortable with.

And welcome to TPF! :flowers:
Thanks LOVE IT here!!! And thanks for the feedback! That's what I was thinking too! Since its not a "traditional" job I thought why not be a little stylish, but even at a "fun" company I'm not hired yet, just an interviewee. So, better play it safe and then when I DO GET the job I can have fun with it!! First impressions are everything!!! Don't want to blow it! :biggrin:

Thoughts anyone!!

OP, I always suggest a suit for an interview regardless of the position if it's in a professional environment. "Dress to impress" to me means stylish and professional. I advise against peep toe shoes as I think it's casual for an interview and if it's a dress or skirt suit you'll want to wear pantyhose (which don't work with peep toes).

The job you're applying for is a bit different than the "norm" office job so it might be fine to play more with color and beauty in general. For example, I only suggest suits in boring neutrals for interviews but you could get away with a more colorful suit or maybe a striking colorful top under a basic suit - there seems much more room to play. Also, I typically advise women to really tone down their looks (hair, makeup, jewelry, etc.) however as a flight attendant I think being attractive could be considered an asset so it might be okay to be a bit more feminine than in a regular interview :cool:

I think it depends on the position you are applying for. In the IT industry I would probably stick to casual. The type of people interviewing in the IT industry typically aren't fashion savvy and could feel intimidated.

I think the ladies here have given great advice as to attire that is fitting to each profession and level of job offered. I have always worn a full skirt suit for my interviews because I am an attorney. As for hairstyle, I think NEATNESS is key. So, if that means pony tall, bun, or letting your hair down, I think that is all fine as long as you look polished and well groomed.