Job Dilemma...need advice!

1. I had a job interview on Tuesday that went really well. I met with 4 different people and was told today they want me to come back for the second round sometime next week. I was really impressed with the company and am very interested in the position.

Here's what the dilemma is: I got a salary increase at my current company today. It's nothing huge, about 3.5%, but it was still VERY unexpected. It won't be effective until February 16th.

Is this worth mentioning to the company I'm interviewing with? I was going to let the recruiter know that I received the increase, but that my salary requirements haven't changed...I just wanted to let her know so she could update my file. I don't want her to think that all I care about is the salary, so should I even bring it up? I really don't want to jeopardize my chances there, because I'm really interested in working for them.

Sorry if I'm's just been one of those days full of surprises. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! :smile:
  2. I'd say it's not worth mentioning. I wouldn't say anything unless this company you interviewed with offers you a position and you're not happy with the salary. Really, the fact that you're getting a raise with your current company is irrelevant to you moving to a different company.
  3. Well put lorimatthews, I totally agree with you!
  4. I agree with lorimatthews... 3.5% is just going to be eaten up by your next rent increase.
  5. I agree; it's not worth mentioning and it's not that much of money that's left on your bank account after taxes...
  6. I have a different perspective than the above views and HR PEOPLE - PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG - but my impression is that salary negociations tend to be independent of the recruitment process. Everyone decides who is the best person for the job - and then they pass it on to HR to come to agreement with the candidate over salary. This process is arbritary - I think that the salary that is offered is not so much a reflection of the worth of the candidate, but the lowest salary that the HR person can get away with.

You say that your salary expectations in the prospective job haven't changed due to your current raise. Is this because the prospective job's salary is so far above what you are getting now that it isn't significant? If not, why haven't your expectations changed?

Especially if the new job's salary on a scale - the increase you have just been given will help you with your starting point. If there is bargaining room in your new salary, I agree, I would wait until an eventual job offer, and then, if ask to speak to the recruiter and just let her know (in passing) - "but the way, since we began the process I have had a 3.5% salary increase. Do you need to have formal confirmation of this?". She'll get the message.

You are in the strongest position of negociting salary when you are applying for a new job. You really should take advantage of it.
  7. Salary negotiations come at the end of the recruitment process - at the offer stage. Recruiters/companies ask for your current compensation at the beginning of the process to determine if you're "attainable" - meaning are you gonna take a pay cut from your current job to their job.

Is your compensation at your current job fairly close in range to the job for which you're interviewing? If so, you might wish to let your recruiter know that your current employer gave you a spontaneous 3.5% raise effective later this month, which would bring your total compensation to X. Sometimes, if the compensations ranges overlap, your recruiter may use your current comp as a baseline for working out the salary amount with the hiring manager.

If you don't tell the recruiter about your 3.5% raise now, you may receive a job offer that would not have factored this in.

If you do tell your recruiter, this might be taken into account, and your job offer *might* be a little higher to entice you.

If you're concerned it's gonna sound you're just about money, please do tell your recruiter that you're really interested in the job for which you're interviewing for whatever reasons (job resposibilities, growth opportunities, developing new skills, etc. or whatever it true for you), and as a result your unexpected raise is not affecting your decision to continue to pursue the new position.

Bottom line is that if you knew about it and didn't tell the recruiter during the process and then mentioned it later, after the recruiter had already confirmed the offer salary with the hiring manager, the surprise news may frustrate the recruiter and the hiring manager to have to readjust (or not) your offer.

Good luck!!!
  8. Redney - you must be in HR - so thats how it works!

BTW is compensation the new word for salary???? Its a bit weird... from the dictionary:
    Compensation - something that counterbalances or makes up for an undesirable or unwelcome state of affairs

And if you complain about anything "well you've received compensation - not be off with you".

Euuww yucky..

(Sorry to hijack your thread misstx.."
  9. Thank you for all of the advice, everyone. It really helps to see things from a different perspective. I was told by the recruiter that my current salary is actually on the high end of what this new position would be paying. She knows my requirements and I'm assuming they are open to it, or else I wouldn't have got called back for the 2nd interview.

Redney, I can definitely see how it would be frustrating from an HR point of view *if* I were to get an offer and then tell her about the increase. I think it would be best to be upfront and let her know what happened, rather than bringing it up later.

Thanks again...this forum is the best :wlae:
  10. LOL trees!!!! :roflmfao: If you apply the definition you posted in a job context, it's really funny!!!!:lol:

I view "compensation" as fairly interchangeable with "salary" (though someone's "total compensation package" may also include other monetary and non-monetary benefits such as percentage payment of health insurance premiums, 401(k) match, a signing bonus, etc.)

Yep, I've been in corporate recruiting for nearly 14 years. :tup:
  11. Yes, I think it is work mentioning it to the interviewing company.

Depending on how you bring it up, it won't be construed as you being all about the money, if that's not something you want to convey. Something like re-submitting the application to update certain fields will be a fair request.

Aside from the pay ranges certain positions pay, more often than not--and especially when it's not an employee's market--companies will also haggle people down. Sometimes it won't necessarily be a judgment call, but rather, just to save on overhead, or get *their* bang for the buck.

HIH and Good Luck! :smile: