Joaquin Phoenix

Oh I didn't know he and Reese were working together again! I'll totally go see Inherent Vice! I love him!

'You start lowering your standards': Joaquin Phoenix says he doesn't do 'bigger movies' because the quality of acting suffersin big comic book franchises.

Now Joaquin Phoenix has said that he doesn't 'do bigger movies' because he believes the quality of acting suffers in order to appeal to a wider audience.
'Obviously the more money at stake, the more expectations there are to make that back, right?' the 40-year-old actor told The Guardian.

24FB77F800000578-2923497-image-m-12_1422024894259.jpg

Not for him: Joaquin Phoenix has said that he doesn't 'do bigger movies' because he believes the quality of acting suffers in order to appeal to a wider audience

Joaquin, Rain and Summer Phoenix at Inherent Vice premiere

video-undefined-249B023C00000578-411_636x358.jpg

'So you start lowering your standards. You try to appeal to as wide a market as possible. I think that's why typically I haven't done bigger movies.'

Certainly Joaquin is better known for his small budget roles in films like Her, The Master and the mockumentary I'm Not There,though it was his turn in Gladiator as the cowardly Commodus that really put him on the Hollywood map.
It also earned him his first Oscar nod in the Best Supporting Actor category, and though he didn't wn the actor admits the publicity did help him out.

1EB18B0B00000578-0-image-a-2_1422020754859.jpg

Indie darling: Joaquin is known for his smaller budget films, like last year's critically-acclaimed Her

'Awards can do amazing things for an actor's career,' Joaquin said. 'The Oscars have completely changed my career for the better.'
However, Phoenix, who was nominated for Best Actor last year for his role in Her, does think awards can also be a bad thing for an actor to care about too much.
'There's also a danger that it becomes this thing, that you're constantly seeking this validation, that you're trying to do something to get a particular response,' he said. 'I don't like that type of acting... Bad acting is being self-aware, being self-conscious.'
0038A39600000258-0-image-a-4_1422020797021.jpg

Awards: Joaquin says that being nominated for an Oscar in 2001 for his role as Commodus in Gladiator helped his career

Inherent Vice trailer: Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix...

video-undefined-21CD2D6A00000578-611_636x358.jpg

Joaquin has teamed up again with his The Master director Paul Thomas Anderson on new film Inherent Vice.
Based on Thomas Pynchon's novel, the film is set in 1970. Phoenix plays drug-fueled Los Angeles detective Larry 'Doc' Sportello investigating the disappearance of a former girlfriend.
Despite it being critically praised, the film did not get much love at this year's Oscar nominations announcement, with only two nods in the Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Costume Design categories.

Inherent Vice is out in UK theatres on January 30
24D5E78800000578-0-image-m-5_1422020869277.jpg

Out soon: Joaquin and Reese Witherspoon star in Inherent Vice, out in UK theatres on January 30

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2923497/You-start-lowering-standards-Joaquin-Phoenix-says-doesn-t-bigger-movies-acting-gets-worse.html#ixzz3PeocEbM2