Jimmy Choo Jimmy Choo Leather Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburgh

BV ~ Ferragamo ~ TODs
O.G.
Aug 17, 2007
The purpose of this thread will be to present the types of leathers that Jimmy Choo uses, as well as sample swatches to illustrate. This thread will be closed to posting and will serve as a reference. Please submit any information, corrections, or suggestions to me and I will add to the thread.

There will be a separate thread for discussion of the leather guide in the regular section below. Here is the link:

Last edited:
Nappa (aka: napa) (Wikipedia)

This is from Wikipedia: Nappa leather or Napa leather is a full-grain leather, typically dyed, made from unsplit kid-, lamb- or sheep-skin by tanning with salts of chromium or aluminium sulfate, and noted for softness and durability. It is often used in high-quality leather products such as high-end furniture and accessories such as wallets and luggage.

Last edited:
Snakeskin

1. Karung (also called Ayers) snakeskin is from Acrochordus javanicus. This snake is known as the Java file, or elephant trunk snake and inhabits shallow tropical freshwater lagoons and streams in SE Asia. It is non-venomous and eats fish and eels. An adult Java file can reach 7-8 feet in length. It has really loose skin and a flattened tail for swimming. Pretty!
attachment.php

Elaphe is harvested from either the Elaphe radiata, Elaphe carinata or Elaphe taeniura. All three are non-venomous, land dwelling constrictors. Will eat just about anything.

The Elaphe radiata is found in Bangladesh, Burma, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia/Singapore, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, as well as southern Australia. It is known as the radiated ratsnake or the copperhead ratsnake and can grow 5-6 feet long.
attachment.php

The Elaphe carinata lives mainly in N. Vietnam, China, and Taiwan. Known as the King ratsnake for it habit of eating other snakes. A large snake that can grow 6-7 feet in length. Found in open forests, bamboo thickets, as well as near houses, both day and night. These also have some sort of stink gland and smell really bad.
attachment.php

There is another ratsnake used in bags, the Elaphe taeniura. According to some Chinese agricultural data I found, this is the third most used snake in Elaphe leather trade. This snake is known as the "Beauty snake" or the "Striped tail ratsnake." It occurs mainly in China, and lives, hunts as other ratsnakes do.
attachment.php

Burmese python, once very commonly seen, is declining in use. It is becoming hunted in too great a quantity and is getting scarce. The burmese python is Python molurus bivittatus. Native to rain forest areas of SE Asia, it is one of the largest snakes in the world, with the record so far being 27 feet long. It is found as often in the trees as in water. It is an excellent swimmer and nocturnal. A powerful constrictor, these snakes can grow 7 feet in one year and see humans as a food source. A breeding population is becoming established in S. Florida due to escape or release of pet pythons. Watch where you swim because you cannot escape!
attachment.php

Last edited:
Crocodile

Here is some information on the two types of quality croc, partially taken from the Hermes leather reference:

1. CROCODYLUS POROSUS
Farmed in Australia. Noted for its fine, symmetrical scale pattern.

2. CROCODYLUS NILOTICUS
Also known as Nile crocodile or Madagascar crocodile and is farmed in Zimbabwe. Recognized by its larger scale pattern than porosus.

Neither come glazed, rather the shine comes from repeated buffing of the skin with a stone until it reaches a sheen. Matte finish is created by rubbing with felt. Because the skin is not treated, it does not do well in rain. Glazing should not be done more than twice. The reason being that the uneven texture of the skin will leave the glaze uneven on its surface, which may eventually peel and flake with time.

Same issues with the rain for alligator and caiman, too. I never take out my crocs if there is a forecast of rain. As far as being farmed humanely, perhaps Bryan can answer this. I would hope that the companies like Hermes, BV, Ferragamo, etc, purchase their skins from regulated farms.

I have seen BV croc (it was on sale) in the boutique. The skin looks no different in quality than Hermes, Ferragamo, or Choo.

I found this posted by Grand Fonds in an Hermes thread: "I can't speak for the other skins/hides, but I know the farm where the porosus croc is sourced is completely humane to it's animals. I have seen it with my own eyes. They even have their own special 'bath', polished up so they don't scratch up their bellies! The RSPCA here is VERY strict on this kind of thing (especially euthanasia), and the croc farm, from what I saw (and I was a Veterinary Science student at the time) complied 100%.
Porosus croc owners can breathe a sigh of relief!"

Status
Not open for further replies.