Jiffy Lube Experience

That's awful. That was very unprofessional of them.

My dad sells wholesale Mercedes parts. He tells me he has sold things to those Jiffy Lube type places because they messed up someone's car and broke some totally unrelated part on the car and then had to fix it when they were doing a supposedly simply service job.

So if JLubes or similar places are NOT reliable, where do you suggest we go to get an oil change?

I have a local garage where I buy tires, etc. They have been there forever and are as honest as the day is long. Many times, my car needs a dealer, so I have a dealer shop I trust also. With so many places ripping you off, it can be hard to find someone. Ask people who you know for recommendations. Try them out. One thing I like to do is mark my oil filter to see if they really change it.

One general statement, that I can't stress enough - do NOT go to autonation dealers!!! The best way to aviod this is search their website and see which dealers they own. They are about the most unethical people in the business, and they love to take advantage of many women's general lack of knowledge on cars.

It terrible that you were treated like that and I think for you it came down to the princple of the matter. If I did in fact need the light I would have swallowed the cost and then complained to them.

Some Jiffy Lube locations in S. Cal had been found to have unethical business practices. It was all over the news about 2 months ago. I'd say let it go this time but don't go back to that location again, and file a complaint with BBB.

ITA, they should have apologized for misquoting you and let you keep it at that price. Ideally they should have told you ahead of time that hey our mistake, the light it actually $20 instead of $10 would you still like it?

I've gone to JL's all over the place around here and haven't had any problems, but I do use discretion with the additionals they try to sell you (lights, wiper blades, etc). For me, sometimes it's worth the convenience. Other times it's not as my car dealership is right across the street and probably has a better price.

Pursegrrl I agree with what you stated and I wish that was the way it had happened.
I do have an update as well for those who asked. I did contact the customer service and the district manager called me yesterday. He asked me about the experience and then apologized and stated that what I requested from them was how it should have been handled. To sell it to me for $10 and of course to not remove it. He was pretty amazed by what I told had happened.
I would say the most shocking thing I learned (and for him as well was when I told him what kind of car I drove) was that no lights for my Honda are even in the $19.99 price range.
If I've learned anything from this very small life experience is to be assertive (not aggressive) about what you feel is right.
Thanks everyone for all of the :idea:feedback.

Pursegrrl I agree with what you stated and I wish that was the way it had happened.
I do have an update as well for those who asked. I did contact the customer service and the district manager called me yesterday. He asked me about the experience and then apologized and stated that what I requested from them was how it should have been handled. To sell it to me for $10 and of course to not remove it. He was pretty amazed by what I told had happened.
I would say the most shocking thing I learned (and for him as well was when I told him what kind of car I drove) was that no lights for my Honda are even in the $19.99 price range.
If I've learned anything from this very small life experience is to be assertive (not aggressive) about what you feel is right.
Thanks everyone for all of the :idea:feedback.

Awesome!!! :tup: thanks for the follow up!!

My boyfriend worked at a quick-change place like that years ago (before i even knew him), and even though he is a very ethical person, i can tell you most employees there are NOT!! He has told me stories of his BOSS passing out on pallets of oil from snorting so much coke, others would be very careless with the cars, and one time when he and his 'boss' had a dispute, his boss literally tried to beat the §h*t out of him in a back room!! needless to say he got the hell out of that place and never looked back!

please just avoid these places, take it to a reputible shop that specializes in your cars make!