Jewelry appraisal questions...

1. I have a bracelet that I would like to have appraised. It's about 20 years old, purchased from Mayors. It's a tennis bracelet, gold, with rubies, diamonds, emeralds and sapphires. It looks to be about 2 ct t.w.

How do I go about finding a reputable appraiser? What should I know before visiting? Do I need anything else besides the bracelet (it was my grandmother's)? Does it cost anything?

Any advice would be great. TIA!
  2. A lot of places charge a fee for appraisals. I'd go to a reputable jeweler in your area. Appraisals are good for insurance purposes - supposed replacement value @ full retail. I find them to usually come in a lot higher than what I'd be willing to pay. My eng. ring appraised for more than double what my husb paid for example, same on my wedding ring - so it may not be the best thing to represent resale value.
  3. I would go to an independent appraiser--one who doesn't sell jewelry. Go to the Pricescope website. They have a list of independent appraisers.
  4. Is there a Mayor's near you? Perhaps they would appraise the piece for insurance purposes. My wedding rings have appraisals from the place where we purchased them.
  5. Thank you for the information, ladies! :heart:

Lori - The original Mayors from which my grandmother bought the bracelet is still around. I live close by, so I'll go in one day and see what they say.

I'll also check out Pricescope. On my way now :nuts: